temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosevillain

Reaction score
5 gallon batches, all grain, batch sparge, manual transmission

Today, while I attempted to dough in, I felt that my strike temp was a bit too high. My digital thermometer read 170, but the temp was not dropping as I stirred. Broke out a mechanical thermometer, and it read 160. I confirmed this with another digital thermometer. I have checked all of my thermometers at one point or another and water boils at 212. It's 169 degrees in my garage.

For a while now, my malty beers have truley sucked. I just cannot seem to brew

anything drinkable that doesn't have a truckload of hops. Side note: my efficiency sucks too.

Am I possibly extracting tannins with mash temps closer to 163 and sparge temps maybe 190ish? Do hops hide tannins? Should I stop bugging you and brew a brown to check?

Thanks

Wow that is WAY WAY WAY to high of temps....

Mash @ 147-158F
Mash out @ 168F

You definitely need to take some time to evaluate and calibrate your equipment and measuring devices to ensure your process is sound if you expect to brew good beer!

I'll also assume your fermentation temps and yeast management are possibly lacking as well?

Have you read "How to Brew" by Palmer? Highly recommended!

Back