Temperature or disturbance a bigger issue in fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer1222

Reaction score
I just brewed a 5 gal batch and I have two options:

Drive it 1.5 hours in the car to my dorm, where I have air conditioning and can maintain a good temperature. There are no stoves at college though. My primary is a white food bucket

Leave it here where the temp is about 80. I could put it in a bucket with water but that would warm to room temperature.

What do you think? Until I know that I am going to maintain the hobby for more than a few batches I am loath to buy more equipment

Temperature is more important. I don't think there is any harm in sloshing around the primary. I think some people actually slosh their fermenter around anyway during primary.

Especially if you are early in the fermentation process I would ferment where you can control the temp. During active fermentation things are strirring around so much I don't thing the yeast will even notice the car trip. Keep the ferementor covered with a blanket or transport in your trunk to keep the sun off it (UV bad).

Agree about UV but I am worried about the thing tipping over if it's in the trunk, it'll probably be in the front seat

Back