Temperature Monitoring and Control with Arduino

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently using a Netduino, and damn they are nice. The forums at http://www.Netduino.com are very helpful as well. I have communication over I2C in a matter of minutes, controlling my valves. I've also figured out how to wire up LCDs.

There is someone else in the forums discussing PWM and heater control. I'm assuming they are also automating their brewing. I'm currently stuck trying to integrate WiFi with the damn board though. Then my automation POC will be mostly complete. Then it will just require me building up the logic from the simple pieces to control flows, temp, etc.

My goal is to have the control panel wired up this weekend, so next weekend I can go through the first wet test. (Assuming the electrician comes next week to install my 60A service)

OK stupid question time but what exactly goes on the netduino when you compile for one? It doesn't exactly seem to have a lot of extra space to put even a micro .NET framework.

OK stupid question time but what exactly goes on the netduino when you compile for one? It doesn't exactly seem to have a lot of extra space to put even a micro .NET framework.

Not a stupid question. The firmware takes care of the framework from what I understand. So far, I haven't run into space issues, and I am controlling multiple valves, 3 LED 7-segment displays, and the PWM for the heating elements. Another bonus is you can dynamically load assemblies from the SD card (if using the Netduino Plus or if you have an SD card shield attached).

Hope that helps? Resources are limited, but it is enough to get by.

Yeah thanks.

I dunno the highest level language I have ever written on an embedded system is C and that was cross-compiled and didn't depend on any external libraries. It just seems like 60K is not a lot of space for such a huge framework. Which would leave me to believe the framework is burned into a PROM or something.

It is definitely interesting, though. I wouldn't mind writing stuff in C#, especially if there is a simulator of some sort available. Definitely much easier to code stuff in C# although it seems like it would be easy to do something like

portManager = new Dictionary<String,Port>()

and then all of a sudden you have no RAM left.

One comment... From what I've read, copper is not the best thing to use for a thermowell when fermenting. Something about off-flavors and/or poisoning of the yeast?

slide2.jpg

Hmmm...

Nice boil kettles and mashtuns, dont see any copper fermenters though.

IMG_2799wtmk.JPG

Hmmm...

Copper is not used as much today due to the expense. Stainless is much cheaper and easier to maintain. As far as it being reactive in the wort, once it develops a layer of oxidation like the walls of the fermentor in this pic, I suspect it is pretty much inert.

Latest posts

Back