Temperature jumped to 90 while brewing a Berliner weisse. Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssray2000

Reaction score
I am trying to brew a Berliner weisse with WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend. Its currently on day number 7 of fermentation. The first two days I was fermenting at 65F.
However, day 3 and 4, I was out of town and my AC broke down while I was away and the temperature got up to 90 for two days. I fixed it and now it's back to 65.
My question is, will this ruin the taste of my beer?
Also, what happens to the lactii and yeast if it gets exposed to 90F for two day?

I would imagine you are totally fine - if your fermentation temp was really 90 degrees, you'd probably wind up with a bunch of esters that the bugs will devour later on. If you were doing something like a pale ale or something like that, you'd probably have ended up with a beer that tasted like bubble gum. This assumes that two days is actually sufficient to do that. High fermentation temps can lead to fusel alcohol production too, but I'm not sure if the bugs can metabolize those. Not much you can do about it - let it ferment out like you were planning to and see how it turns out.

Back