Temperature for Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I'm on week 2 of my planned 3 week bottle condition of a pliney clone. For some background, here's the timeline thus far:

2 weeks in primary
2 weeks in secondary (dry hoping)
2 weeks (thus far) in the bottle
planned to go another week.

That said, I'm currently using one of those radiator-looking oil heater units to keep a small closet space at 66-67 degrees. But I'm a cheap bastard and it's been all I can stand to leave that heater running all the time for 2 weeks now!! It's on the lowest possible setting, but still. I'm wondering if at 2 weeks now I can bring it into the house and just let it finish there (I keep the house between 60-62... yes, my wife hates me).

I'm thinking that perhaps now I'm conditioning more than carbonating so the temp can be lower??? But I'm still new to this so thought I'd ask first.

I do plan to hold a couple bottles back too so I can try at 1 month intervals and see how the beer changes over time. Not that I care a ton, I tried a bottle this weekend (at the 2 week mark) and it tasted great... but I want to experiment so figured I'd hold some back this time to see how the aging process progressed.

Anyway, about the temp... okay to condition the rest of the way at 60 degrees?

There are different opinions on this but I like to get my bottles around 70 degrees for a week or so immediately after bottling. Might depend on the exact yeast however. After that I'd like to get it in a cool basement until consumption, in another 2+ weeks.

If at two weeks it tasted great you are on the right track, maybe close to where you want to be.

And you both Carbonating, and Conditioning, at the same time, in my opinion. It becomes a matter of semantics but initially you get carbonation. Conditioning does not matter at first, since you are only wanting to get beyond the flat beer, but it is conditioning. Once it's got some carb on it, the flavor will continue to change.

But in reality it's been carbing AND conditioning from the moment you put a cap on it.

Back