Temperature Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmin9

Reaction score
I'm a small apartment brewer, and I brew extract batches, usually 2.5 gallon batches. Recently, I decided to do an experiment with a pale kit from northern brewer.

I brewed the shining star pale ale kit exactly as the recipe specified, the only change was using rehydrated US-05 yeast instead of liquid yeast. For fermentation, one 2.5 gal. fermenter went in my swamp cooler with ice bottles and a fan blowing air out of my fermentation chanber(closet). The other fermenter went on a shelf in the same closet, but no swamp cooler.

I live in Philadelphia, right now my ambient apartment temp is somewhere between 68 and 72. I know the differences in these two beers should be pretty obvious, but what flavors can I expect from the beer that is fermenting warmer?

The cooler fermentation, if it is below 64°, may have some slight peach flavor undertones. How noticeable the flavor is, if at all, depends upon the hop level.

Looked up the hops, they are as follows.
1 oz. Pallisade(60 min)
.5 oz centennial(10 min)
.5 oz columbus(10 min)
.5 oz centennial(flameout)
.5oz columbus(flameout)

Back