Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory T

Reaction score
I am looking to get a BrewBuilt™ IceMaster Max 4 Glycol Chiller for use on my flex and flex plus using Spike temperature control coils. I am looking for feedback from any users of this? I am also deciding whether to get the quick disconnects. Also type and size of hoses required? Any feedback on these?

I am looking to get a BrewBuilt™ IceMaster Max 4 Glycol Chiller for use on my flex and flex plus using Spike temperature control coils. I am looking for feedback from any users of this? I am also deciding whether to get the quick disconnects. Also type and size of hoses required? Any feedback on these?
Search for some forums here. I myself started one penguin vs brewbuilt vs ss...or some such. There's enough info already here to overwhelm you!! Plus diy options.
I will search and edit with a few links.

Edit#1: Thoughts on best glycol chiller: SS Brewtech vs. Penguin vs. Any others? (Not diy)

The Icemaster Maxx 4 is what I use. There was definitely a learning curve with it.

Overall impression - I do like it. it works as advertised. Couple of the cons I can think of are it's loud (comparable to an old, rattling AC window unit), the instructions are absolutely horrible (or lack there of), and power outages were a fun learning curve.

It works great though. I have mine sitting at -3*C and can cold crash 15g to 34*F no problem at all.

The quick disconnects are priceless in my opinion. When a batch is done, with a simple push of a button, I can disconnect the largest portion of the hose from the fermenter and all I'm left with are the little 6" leads that I have attached to the cooling coil. Would definitely recommend the quick disconnects.

In regards to what size hoses are required, I'd have to go back and look. I want to say like 1/4" or 5/16" ID tubing... Not 100% sure on that though.

Back