temperature after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleAleMale

Reaction score
I just bottled my first pale ale and was wondering at what temperature should i let it sit in the bottles? I was thinking of letting it sit around 55 F...is this to cold or can i lower the temp? Thanks.

PAM

I would keep it in the mid sixties at least until it carbonates. Once it is fully carbonated I recommend keeping it as cool as possible. The colder the better (not freezing) because in my experience, it really helps clarify the beer.

You'll probably want to keep it at the same temperature that you fermented at. You don't want it too cold or your yeast will go dormant, and your beer will not carbonate.

As the others have stated, you will need to keep the bottles at or near normal fermentation temps (70-75˚F IMO) for at least 3 weeks, or until you are satisfied with the carbonation. After that, you can keep them at cellar temps or colder until you are ready to move them to the fridge for chilling and consuming.

John

Back