Tempature Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuallyBrew

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm brand new to this and found this site. So far a TON of useful knowledge.

A general question about temperature. Here in the central valley of CA it's going to be 100+ degress outside for the next couple of months. The AC keeps our house at a steady 78 while were are home, and 82 while we're out. But if we're gone for more then a couple days, without AC it can get close to 90.

Should I wait until the heat passes before I start brewing my first batch? What kind of affect will this heat have on a brew?

I'd like to avoid the extra bill to keep the house at 78-82 when no one's going to be home for a period of a few days you know.

Thanks.

That is alittle too warm. You can put the carboy/bucket in a cool place and put wet t-shirts on it and direct a fan to create cooling.

You can build a chiller like this one Chiller

I built a chiller like the one in the link above and I am able to keep my fermentation temps below 70F in a garage in Texas when the outside temp is 100F.

like BBQ brew said, that's a little too warm. the brew will be a little alcoholy/estery tasting from the higher ferm temps. as mentioned, just put your primary in your brew kettle, fill the kettle with water, drap a t-shirt or towel around the primary so the bottom edge of the towel/t-shirt is in the water. point a fan on it and let it rip. the towel will help whick moisture up the towel, and the fan will keep it cool. maybe 10-12 degrees? if you have room, build that chiller, or get a chest freezer/refridgerator to put the primary or secondary in, and use a external themrostat control to override the units thermostat. u can buy those from HBS or on-line for $48-$50.

good luck and welcome aboard!

DuallyBrew said:
Should I wait until the heat passes before I start brewing my first batch?

No, never wait! Just find a solution to the problem. That ferm chiller site is mine and works great. Been 106+ here for the last friggen month and I'm staying steady at 66 in my garage. Just rotate the ice containers daily. Or get a frig so you can do lagers someday as well. Nice part of the ferm chiller is virtually no increase to the electric bill.

Thanks for the info everyone!

So - is 78 too warm or the 80+?

That cooler looks like fun to build. I will probably build one of those eventually and do the water/fan thing for now.

I am going to try to start my first batch next week sometime. Can't wait.

Now to find a good starter kit!

DuallyBrew said:
Thanks for the info everyone!

So - is 78 too warm or the 80+?

That cooler looks like fun to build. I will probably build one of those eventually and do the water/fan thing for now.

I am going to try to start my first batch next week sometime. Can't wait.

Now to find a good starter kit!

It's a little warm but it'll still make beer. Get to the basics and the fine tuning comes later. FYI, typical optimum temps for ale yeast is in the 66-73 range depending on the liq strains used

DeRoux's Broux said:
as mentioned, just put your primary in your brew kettle, fill the kettle with water, drap a t-shirt or towel around the primary so the bottom edge of the towel/t-shirt is in the water. point a fan on it and let it rip. the towel will help whick moisture up the towel, and the fan will keep it cool. maybe 10-12 degrees?

Wish I had read this tip three day ago...I turned my thermostat down to 72 for the primary fermentation. My electric bill will probably be $600 this month, and the wife wants to know how much money I've saved so far.

Do any of you Houston guys know of a source for the polystyrene insulation for the fermentation chiller?

El Pistolero said:
Wish I had read this tip three day ago...I turned my thermostat down to 72 for the primary fermentation. My electric bill will probably be $600 this month, and the wife wants to know how much money I've saved so far.

Do any of you Houston guys know of a source for the polystyrene insulation for the fermentation chiller?

Menard's...Lowe's...Home Depot... :D

primary in a rubermaid tub filled with water keeps my ferms right at 73° - in an unconditioned barn with temps into the 90°s. it works. do it

Occupied Kingwood! classic!!!!
I used to live in Clear Lake on Hwy 3 (Gables - Bradford I think?).

I'd check Home Depot, Lowe's, McCoy's, etc. Also check w/ the guy's at DeFalco's Homebrew Supply on Stella Link. They may have a handy trick or two you could use......

brewhead said:
primary in a rubermaid tub filled with water keeps my ferms right at 73° - in an unconditioned barn with temps into the 90°s. it works. do it

Do you change the water at all? how often?

This is what my plan is for my first batch, maybe even adding ice to the bucket depending...

Does pulling the primary out of the tub to change water cause any problems due to the agitation?

Thanks!!!

take it easy on the primary. don't want to be aggitating the trub/sediment too much.
try to use something w/ drain or spigot.

do not chance the water. by itself it will maintain 72° to 75°. now this is assuming you have the tub in the shade of a garage or house. i'm telling you it works like a charm for me. when i get home i'll take a pic of my tub set up for ya. and i monitor the temp with several thermometers

brewhead said:
do not chance the water. by itself it will maintain 72° to 75°. now this is assuming you have the tub in the shade of a garage or house. i'm telling you it works like a charm for me. when i get home i'll take a pic of my tub set up for ya. and i monitor the temp with several thermometers

Awesome! That sounds great. I will be keeping mine in a spare shower that we done use, or a guest room, something inside the house regardless.

I really appreciate the feedback. Keeps me from being too scared to start this time of year.

Now to pick a first brew!

normal_100_0920.JPG

it's crude but it works. i have it on this dolly to be able to gently roll out the whole set up to check on any carboys

Latest posts

Back