Temp. Regulation for Bottle Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmetto33

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of extract brown ale this past Sunday and have had no visible signs of carbonation yet. I realize it has only been a few days but from what I've read, there's supposed to be a yeast layer forming at the bottom. Well, I've been looking through the forums and have found that carbonation temperatures apparently need to be a bit higher than the initial fermentation temps. So, I put a thermometer in one of the cases of beers and it only reads 62-64 degrees.

I have been reading (mostly in BierMuncher's posts) that the ideal carbonation temp is about 72 degrees.

So my question is what is the simplest way to acheive a 8-10 degree increase in the temperature of the bottles other than adjusting the thermostat (it's my girlfriend's house and even if it wasn't I still wouldn't be allowed)?

The thermostat reads 68, but the bottles are on the floor and the house is old and relatively drafty.

Could I just get a few layers of towels and wrap the cases inside; would that be sufficient?

Give it time. At those temperatures it'll take a bit longer, but they'll still carbonate. Putting them in a box in a closet, away from circulating air, may help boost their temps by a few degrees if that makes you feel more comfortable.

I say just wait. The thermostat is set between 62 and 65 in my place and its the dead of winter here it usually takes around 2-3 weeks for them to carb.

What do ya think about the towels though, or better yet an unused featherbed I've got laying around, would they kick it up a bit more too?

I trust you when you say it'll still carbonate but I've also read a post on here saying that if you don't start carbonating in the first week or so then you may end up with flat beer without a remedy. <---this was the most pessimistic post I've seen on it.

Also, what do you mean by a "bit longer"? I was planning on 3 weeks, are you talking about a month or 2?

(apologies for the first batch analness)

Thanks

This past Sunday four days ago? Too soon.

I say just stick them in a closet for three weeks total. Look again for a thin layer of crud at the end of week two. Sample ONE at the end of week three. Sample ONE at the end of week four, I doubt your beeer will last to Sunday of week five.

My SWAG.

3 weeks to fully carb is my motto.

you could use a tub of water with a submersible aquarium heater set to 70F and then put your bottles in that. it'll hold temp very stable. but its probably not really necessary, just be more patient.

Alright, knew I was being premature; just had been reading about it in my haste and found some posts specifying around 70 degrees. It seems from yous guys' responses that 62 to 64ish degrees won't be a problem (correct me if I'm wrong) as long as I wait the 3 weeks which I had already planned.

I'll officially quit worrying about it now, unless I think of another possible pitfall...which is likely.

3 weeks is my minimum...if you're woried about consistant temp stick the boxes in a sleeping bag or wrapped in a thermal blanket. And shove them in the warmest seeming place i you can find, even under the bed...

I'm not sure what you mean by visible signs of carbonation in the bottles? I can't tell from looking at a bottle of my beer whether or not it's carbonated. A lot of my beers you can't even see the yeast sitting at the bottom of the bottle unless it's empty and you're looking straight down the neck of it.

You're just over stressing...relax and let it go 3 weeks.....you'll be fine! :D

I do not even check to see how my bottles are doing until 2 weeks. Three weeks is my minimum and I keep my house cool.

If I was worried about temp I would place them over one of my floor vents and throw a towel or blanket on top.

Back