Temp range advice for sd super in my RIS,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Made a big RIS today came in at just over 5.5 gal into my 6.5 gal glass carboy with an OG of 1.126, beersmith had it at a 1.138og at 5.25 gal but time constraints didn’t let me boil down enough and I used 12oz unsulfurated molasses in the boil as well. Premade a three step starter of sd super, I used 007 on this beer last year and it crapped out at 1.055 but I mashed at 155 without molasses, so I used sd super this year and mashed at 150 to hopefully get it down to the 1.030 range. Anyway, should I just let it go temp wise or try to keep it in like the 68-70deg range. I ferment in my basement where it’s an ambient temp of 68 so to cool it I’ll throw chilled towels around the fermentor with ice packs taped to the carboy, I know it’s not ideal but it’s worked in the past. Pitched 3 hrs ago and the blowoff is already slowly bubbling with krasuen forming up. I just don’t want to lose like a gallon of beer due to blowoff which happened in the past, I’m not concerend with esters cuz this is a huge beer with a clean yeast but my main concern is to reduce losing beer through blowoff while hopefully the yeast will be able to ferment all the way down without crapping out. I’m thinking of buying some notty or 05 and pitching that on day 3-4 to keep the fementation going should I be worried about that or will the sd super be fine on its own. I aerated for 2 min pre pitching and I’ll do it again before work tomm which will be 12 hrs later.

Yup, that's a big beer! :)
fwiw, the specs for wlp090 recommend 65-68°F, so I'd try to keep the beer temperature within a couple of degrees of that for the first few days. And given the huge mass of fermentables and what reads as likely to be a healthy pitch, that thing's gonna want to rock hard :rock:

Cheers!

Yup, that's a big beer! :)
fwiw, the specs for wlp090 recommend 65-68°F, so I'd try to keep the beer temperature within a couple of degrees of that for the first few days. And given the huge mass of fermentables and what reads as likely to be a healthy pitch, that thing's gonna want to rock hard :rock:

Cheers!
So my plan is Tomm I’ll be gone all day at work till Monday so I’m gonna aerate agin and throw some other shirts on it with more ice packs to keep it cool then when I come home Monday I’ll repeat. Do u think any extra yeast is necessary ?

If I assume 2 liter steps, a three step starter on a month old well-treated pack should have landed your cell count in a reasonable range, roughly 1M cells per milliliter per °P, so if that fits reality I think you're ok there. If you're going to hit it with O2 I'd do it six hours post-pitch, not 12...

Cheers! (and good luck!)

If I assume 2 liter steps, a three step starter on a month old well-treated pack should have landed your cell count in a reasonable range, roughly 1M cells per milliliter per °P, so if that fits reality I think you're ok there. If you're going to hit it with O2 I'd do it six hours post-pitch, not 12...

Cheers! (and good luck!)

didn’t see this till this morning but I checked on her and temps were right around 63-64, krausen grew a little so I put new chilled shirts on it in hopes of holding it in the 60’s for the next 24hrs then aerated for 90 seconds. I’m off the rest of the week so I’ll be able to monitor the temps and blowoff more closely but Tomm I’ll prob just let it free rise to speed up fermentation while doing my best to keep it in the 68 range.

Back