Temp questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azfalcon

Reaction score
So I started my first ever brew today. Got a kit for the holidays and picked up a Heather Amber Ale kit. Per my living conditions, I have to keep the beer fermenting in the garage. My brother, who brews often walked me through the process, temps etc. Once we proved the yeast and tossed it in, I moved it to the garage and wrapped in a towl. It generally stays in the low to mid 50's in the garage. From what I understand all this will do is just take longer to ferment. Is this correct? Will I be ok?

I would check the yeast manufacturers website and see what the effective range is. For an ale yeast I would guess you would be on the lower end. Is there anyway you could get the temp up a bit? Plastic tote with an aquarium heater in it?

If its a lager otherwise.Hell No! Check the yeast fermenting temps for the type of yeast you used and try to keep it in the middle. You wil get dormant yeast if it goes below the threshold of temps.An amber probably says 60-70 f? you can use a heating pad on low and wrapp to get it up just dont go too high then keep it in a spot that will stay within those temps

Yea thats my fear. The guy at the shop said i would be fine. I wrapped it in a towel and put a towel underneath it. I may try and move it indoors if possible.

The best thing I ever did before I even brewed my first batch was buy a used mini fridge (a wine fridge in my case) on craigslist along with a Johnson Controls A419. I can choose exactly what I want my fermentation temp to be and I don't have to mess around with coolers and ice or aquarium heaters. It's just one less thing to worry about. If you thing you're going to stay active in the hobby I highly recommend it.

nottingham might actually work at that temperature. a heating pad or brew belt would be ideal to get it up a little, low to mid 50s are not ale fermenting temperatures. with heat from fermentation, you might get up to 60, which is doable. let us know how it turns out.

just a quick update. I finished the process and set it out to begin to ferment about 2:30 yesterday. woke up this morning and im bubbling...slowly..about every 5 seconds

Back