temp of secondary before racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theintern43

Reaction score
giing to rack my porter into the secondary and i thought, if shile sanitizing the secondary carboy it could heat up thus shocking the yeast? am i over thinking it? i assume you would want it as close to the fementing temp as possible

giing to rack my porter into the secondary and i thought, if shile sanitizing the secondary carboy it could heat up thus shocking the yeast? am i over thinking it? i assume you would want it as close to the fementing temp as possible

Are you adding additional flavoring agents in secondary?

How long has it been fermenting?

I'd imagine it won't be hot enough to make any difference. Just sanitize and rack. The heat mass of the carboy material will be negligible to the heat mass of the cool beer.

How are you sanitizing the secondary carboy that it will heat up? I'm cautious on heating glass to prevent stressing the glass which could result in fractures.

The Starsan solution I use for sanitizing is room temperature, same as the carboys.

Has your porter reached final gravity? Are you racking for long term aging?

Yes, you're overthinking it. Room temp is fine for secondary, but I usually just rave mine on my e chamber @ 66°F. The key is avoiding light. It usually takes 4-5 days to degas.

Back