Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jboggeye

Reaction score
Hi guys, my brother and I are thinking of getting a chest freezer and a temp controller.
I was able to get much info on the analog/digital debate, but I am still fuzzy on the necessity of the dual stage controller versus the single stage. (cold)

If my chest freezer is in an 70 degree apt, is there any reason I would need to heat up the fermenting beer versus "letting" the temp warm up on its own?

Example
So if I pitched at 65, setting the controller for 65, the freezer would only kick in if the temp goes up to 66, and then back off.
Once it takes off, let it rise for a few degrees/day by setting the controller to only kick in at 67, 68... until desired temp. (say 69)

What would be the reason for needing dual stage?

None at all - IF - you are keeping the unit in heated space (your apartment). If you were keeping it in an unheated garage you probably would need a dual controller during the winter months.

None at all - IF - you are keeping the unit in heated space (your apartment). If you were keeping it in an unheated garage you probably would need a dual controller during the winter months.

Or simply change the mode to heating and plug in a brew belt or other heating device. Of course you need the electronic version for this.

OK great! I won't get a dual then. Just the single RANCO. I'm sure I'll have other questions, but

THANKS

Back