Temp Controller Gone Crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wootonius

Reaction score
I bought a cheap temperature controller (Meihang Technology MH1210F) on Amazon. It has worked great for the last 6 months or so, but now it seems to have gone haywire. It says the temp in my keezer is 60 degrees F, when it's actually about -5 degrees F according to a seperate temp gauge I have in there. I've read through the "directions", reset it, and let it completely defrost and it still is measuring incorrectly.
Here is a link to the Amazon page for the product:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F05UI8O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41qe5zTfnwL.jpg

I have the thermocouple run into the keezer and inserted into a plastic bottle of Starsan, which is now frozen solid!
I've been pretty proud of how my keezer turned out, but now this is screwing up everything. Frozen beer is not a good thing!

Has anyone used one like this before and run into this problem? I'm hoping I can get it corrected quick since I have a batch I need to carb and refrigerate now.

I appreciate any help you guys can provide!

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
The StarSan may have penetrated the protective sheath of the temp sensor and destroyed it. The other option is that one of the connections for the temp sensor came loose. Check for good connections. If that doesn't fix things, then try a new sensor.

Brew on :mug:

You know, I didn't think of that. I was afraid if I just used water, it would get nasty after a while. All connections are good, so that is probably what happened. Thanks!

Yes! That was exactly the problem. I have since replaced the thermocouple and I'm putting it in normal water that I change out every now and then. It works perfectly. Thanks for the help!

Back