Temp controlled Brew Room Vs a 5 cubic foot fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to start off by saying, Living here in Arizona makes it difficult to temp control fermentation to say the least, summer is 120+ deg and winter is 34 deg.
So I decided a temperature controlled fermentation chamber would be best, to help me regulate stable fermentation temps and help me brew better beers.
hbt1-631.jpg

(My wife made the Brew Room sign, how cool is that! it was my anniversary present, we always make each other our anniversary gifts.)
I had every intention to build a 5 cubic foot chest freezer fermentation chamber, so I priced everything out, it came out to around $300 to build a 5 cubic foot chamber, This is a new freezer $220 + tax $17.90 total $237.90, a temp controller $30, brew belt $25, grand total it came out to $292.90
And before people start saying I should have picked up a CL freezer for only $20 bucks, I looked for months, you can't find a good used $20 freezer on CL where I live. people here think they are made out of gold for some reason.
All that being said, and after pricing out a 5 cubic foot freezer build at almost $300 bucks, and a 7 cubic foot freezer build add another $70 to the price, now I was kinda bummed out because I had aspirations of being able to ferment/condition 3 or 4 or even 5 five gallon batches at a time, that meant I would needed 2 of these fermentation chambers.
hbt2-630.jpg

(The humble beginnings)
One night my wife and I were sipping on a home brew and this crazy Idea popped into my head, I said to her what about a temp controlled fermentation room? I could build one in the back yard, Her reply was why don't you use that extra room (her office) it would work great, and I will just move my office into the spare bedroom, I thought and said wow! that works out great for everyone.
So I priced out converting the spare room into a temperature controlled fermentation chamber and I was shocked at what it was going to cost, a total of $326, later I added $14 of mood lighting making the grand total $340
So here is what I did for my temp controlled fermentation chamber/TheBrewRoom.
I insulated over the window $30, purchased a cabinet/shelve unit at a county auction for $36, and installed a new 6000 btu A/C unit for summer $220 and a $20 small heater for winter, I can set the room to stay at a constant temp anywhere from 65 deg up to 85+ all year round, right now I have the room set at a constant 70 deg for age conditioning my beers, I still use the old fashion swamp cooler method for primary fermentation on ale yeast to keep them at 65 deg, and in winter if I want to lager I turn off the heater, the room stays around 40 deg and during these times to keep my ales going I use the swamp cooler with $20 a fish aquarium heater set at 65 deg.
I also added mood lighting $14 behind the top row of bottles, so I can turn off the main lights and the bottles dimly light the room, its kinda like being in a dimly lit bar.
And yes even when its 120 degrees out that A/C unit can hold the room to 65 deg.
Total Cost for a 5 cubic foot temp controlled chest freezer $300
Total Cost for my 676 cubic foot temp controlled Brew Room is $340
hbt3-629.jpg

(looking into the Brew Room from the doorway, left)
hbt4-628.jpg

(...to center)
hbt5-627.jpg

(...to right.)
I like the idea of being able to share my crazy idea (reality now) and a side by side price comparison along with the information I learned from this build, its nice to be able to help others make a informed decision on what will or might work for them, maybe someone that would not have thought they could ever do this, just might now.
Some times I just sit in the Brew Room having a Home Brew, listening to music and smelling the smells of a Brew Room, last weekend we picked up 400+ lbs of grain so the room smells really, really good, add the smell of a fermenting beer and its heaven.
It has been quite a lot of work, but I love it.
I have to say Thank You to my Wonderful Wife and brewing partner for all her support.
Cheers to all that brew !
-WiliECoyote
hbt1-631.jpg

@oakbarn, Hello,
With the CoolBot at $300+ SH And the fact that on the CoolBot site it says I need a 24,000 BTU A/C unit (at another $400+) for my size room, I think I will keep doing Ale's.
Also I would have to find another room for all my brews that are age/conditioning.
Cheers

@MattGuk
I built a temp controlled fridge that fits 2 x 30lt fermentors. Very simple to do and cheap as chips.

Back