Tell me what you think about this IIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
IIPA - Partial Mash

1/4# - Biscuit
1/4# - Carapils
3/4# - Crystal 10*
3/4# - Vienna

6Lbs - Northwestern Gold LME
3Lbs - Pilsen Light DME

1 oz - Magnum - 13.1% (10 min)
1 oz - Citra - 12.3% (20 min)
1 oz - Nugget - 12.2% (30 min)
1 oz - Centennial - 9.9% (40 min)
1 oz - Centennial - 9.9% (50 min)
1 oz - Locally grown Chinook - 8.8% (60 min - end of boil)

I'm wondering whether I should do a 60 min or a 90 min boil? Does this hop schedule look good? Any idea on how many IBU's this will end up being?

Well, I like a big, dry IIPA. I'm not too sure about the malt bill. I'd probably not use Vienna, and definitely not a pound of crystal in the mix. I'd probably go with something very simple, like base malt and a pound of crystal, and/or a pound of corn sugar.

For hopping, I don't understand the schedule you have there with the magnum at 10 minutes so I'm not sure I can help with that.

My IIPA hops schedules tend to look like this:

1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 73.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (15 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (5 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min)
Dry hop

Sorry, I write it a little bit different.

1 oz - Magnum - 13.1% (60 min)
1 oz - Citra - 12.3% (50 min)
1 oz - Nugget - 12.2% (30 min)
1 oz - Centennial - 9.9% (20 min)
1 oz - Centennial - 9.9% (10 min)
1 oz - Locally grown Chinook - 8.8% (0 min - end of boil)

is this a 5 gallon batch? if so the grain bill looks a little low for an IIPA, maybe on the bottom range I guess.

You asked about a 60 or a 90 minute boil. In my opinion, there wouldn't be any advantage to a 90 minute boil in an extract beer (or many AG beers, actually!) so plan on a 60 minute boil.

I didn't do the math, but that should be pretty high in IBUs. I'd change most of the hops additions to later additions- I'm not a fan of big bittering additions without adding flavor/aroma hops. I'm don't like nugget added late, but I'd move the rest of the hops to 15 minutes or less, if you wanted a hoppy flavor and aroma.

We have some really good IIPA recipes in the database, if you want to get an idea of what some of us do for IIPAs. I like solid bittering, with plenty of flavor and aroma hops. I think that hops added between 59 and 20 minutes are sort of wasted- you don't get full bittering, nor do you get hoppy flavor and aroma. If you have the hops to spare, of course they can be used but IIPAs still need flavor and aroma additions. I really like them at 15, 10, 5, 1, 0, and dryhop.

Yooper when would be a good time to do a 90 min boil? I'm working on a IIPA recipe and I have a 90 minute boil scheduled.

Not to highjack the thread just curious.

Yooper when would be a good time to do a 90 min boil? I'm working on a IIPA recipe and I have a 90 minute boil scheduled.

Not to highjack the thread just curious.

Well, if you have a high OG AG beer and you need to reduce your boil volume you could do a longer boil. Or if you're using pilsner malt as a base malt to reduce the DMS precursors. Otherwise, I don't really see an advantage unless it's for some kettle carmelization.

Cool thanks. I'll post my IIPA reciepe and see if you think maybe I should just go with a 60 min boil instead of planned 90. Thanks.

with these hops, what schedule should I put them on?

1 oz - Magnum - 13.1%
1 oz - Citra - 12.3%
1 oz - Nugget - 12.2%
1 oz - Centennial - 9.9%
1 oz - Centennial - 9.9%
1 oz - Locally grown Chinook - 8.8%

Ive never used nugget or Citra but I would go

0.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min
1.0 oz Nugget @ 60 min

0.5 oz Magnum @ 15 mins
1 oz Centennial @ 15 mins
1 oz Citra @ 10 mins

The rest at flameout. Make sure to dry hop. I tend to dry hop my IIPA with at least 3 oz. I would opt for dry-hopping with centennial.

I'm doing it now and this is the schedule.

1 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz nugget @ 50
1 oz citra @ 30
.5 oz centennial @ 20
.5 oz centennial @ 10
1 oz centennial @ 0
1 oz chinook @ 0

Not sure how I am going to dry hop this. Any suggestions?

Back