Tell me it will still be beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plath

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch today. A 1 gallon chocolate stout, using the book Beer Craft for my recipe. All seemed to go well- I hit my preboil gravity and my post boil gravity. But I ended up with over a quart too much wort that wouldn't fit in my fermenting jug... then my liquid yeast tube exploded all over when I opened it and who knows how much I ended up with in my jug. Hopefully enough? I was supposed to use half the tube.
tell me it will all be ok?
:mug:

It will definitely be okay. Post a picture of anything you got for us too.
But, in general, just relax and grab a beer.

Exploding vials of White Labs - been there, done that.

Extra wort at end of boil - to me, this just means extra beer. When you expand up to 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gal jug, you'll know that joy.

If you want, stick it in a jar in the fridge. Later, boil it and use it for a starter, or to fortify your next batch. Waste not, want not!

Cheers,

After taking a post boil and cooled gravity reading we take the wort from the tube and pour it into two glasses and add a shot of scotch. Sounds like you might have enough mixer for a whole bottle!:D

Not seeing any yeast action yet :/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There's some activity this morning. Fingers crossed...

After taking a post boil and cooled gravity reading we take the wort from the tube and pour it into two glasses and add a shot of scotch. Sounds like you might have enough mixer for a whole bottle!:D

Now that's what i'm talking about!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400513113.558231.jpg
Reassuring put-put of bubbles now. Phew. Nice chocolate sludge on the bottom.

Back