Tell me how to make a Belgian IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
I have never been interested in this style, so I have done very little research. But, there is a local pro-am that I am interested in and I am excited by the challenge. This is the specific style that they are looking for:

GABF - 17. American-Belgo-Style Ale
A. Subcategory: Pale American-Belgo-Style Ale
These beers must portray the unique characters imparted by yeasts typically used in fruity and big Belgian-Style ales – These beers are not traditional Belgian styles which are already defined. They are unique beers unto themselves. Notes of banana, berry, apple, sometimes coriander spice-like and/or smoky-phenolic characters should be portrayed with balance of hops and malt character when fermented with such yeast. Hop aroma, flavor and bitterness not usually found in the base style, can be medium to very high and must show the characters of American hop varieties. Color falls in the blonde to amber range. Esters should be at medium to high levels. Diacetyl should not be evident. Chill haze may be evident. Sulfur-like yeast character should be absent. To allow for accurate judging the brewer must provide information that identifies the classic beer style being elaborated upon (if there is one) or other information unique to the entry with regard to flavor, aroma and/or appearance. During registration brewers may specify pouring instructions, choosing normal pouring, quiet pouring, intentional rousing or not rousing yeast.
Original Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style • Alcohol by Weight (Volume): Varies with style • Bitterness (IBU): Varies with style • Color SRM (EBC): 5- 15 (10-30 EBC)

I looked up some previous winners and they all seem to be Belgian IPA.

My thoughts of the style are as follows:

-tripel plus american IPA = Belgian IPA
-simple malt bill
-highly attenuative yeast to leave a dry finish
-hop aroma and flavor that is obviously american
-a balance of belgian fruity and phenolic aroma with american hop aroma
-lower than usual BU:GU ratio than a typical IPA to keep the bittering from muddying the belgian yeast character
-carbonation that is closer to a tripel than an IPA

I just tried Great Divide Belgica and was very impressed. It seems to meet all the points above and was highly drinkable. So, here is my first guess at a recipe.

10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.77 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
18.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
28.30 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
28.30 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
28.30 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
42.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
28.30 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (1 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
28.30 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (1 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150, Ferment at 68 and free rise to 75, dry hop at 68.

I am open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

Eric

I haven't tried to make this style yet, but I am familiar with the great divide Belgica which is essentially their titan ipa with a belgian yeast.
Maybe it's as simple as that.

I haven't tried to make this style yet, but I am familiar with the great divide Belgica which is essentially their titan ipa with a belgian yeast.
Maybe it's as simple as that.

It didn't seem nearly as bitter. Perhaps the difference is the yeast, where the IPA yeast accentuates hops and the belgian does not.

Eric

I think you have it right. The only change I make when i do Belgian IPAs is that I tend to mix in both american/english and belgian grains. Though that is strictly my method and is in no way a suggestion to change what you are doing.

So yeah, overall I say you "you're doing it right!" lol.

I have my first go at this style in primary right now. I essentially went with the same grain bill and hop schedule as I would have for a normal double IPA, but substituted german/belgian caramel malts in place of american/english caramel, candi sugar in place of corn sugar and a belgian yeast. I tasted the hydro sample after ~3 weeks and it definitely has a belgian ester aspect to it. I'm actually getting really excited because the sample already tastes fantastic and this is a big beer at ~10% ABV.

I like that the pro/am is using this style since there isn't a BJCP equivalent style. I'm trying to enter more of my beers into comps to get some feedback, but I'm afraid that it wont matter what category I go with on this one as far as getting quality feedback. I think I'll probably just bring some down to the brewmaster at my local brewpub for pro review.

Belgian IPA = what style of IPA?

Westcoast style>
Viven Imperial IPA , Troubadour Magma IPA

Euro Style>
De Ranke XX Bitter ,Poperings Hommel Bier , Urthel Hop-It

Hybrid>
Houblon Chouffe

or the USA take on the style >
USA IPA using Belgian yeast or USA`s version of a Triple using USA hops

Confused? :p

I would say try all beers I listed and then decide what style.

I'm new to Belgian IPAs myself. A couple of years ago, I tried Stone Cal-Belgique. I thought it was really good. American hops, definitely- citrusy/piney but with a Belgian yeast that made it fruity. I really liked that one, and think you're on a similar track.

I have never been interested in this style, so I have done very little research. But, there is a local pro-am that I am interested in and I am excited by the challenge. This is the specific style that they are looking for:

GABF - 17. American-Belgo-Style Ale
A. Subcategory: Pale American-Belgo-Style Ale
These beers must portray the unique characters imparted by yeasts typically used in fruity and big Belgian-Style ales – These beers are not traditional Belgian styles which are already defined. They are unique beers unto themselves. Notes of banana, berry, apple, sometimes coriander spice-like and/or smoky-phenolic characters should be portrayed with balance of hops and malt character when fermented with such yeast. Hop aroma, flavor and bitterness not usually found in the base style, can be medium to very high and must show the characters of American hop varieties. Color falls in the blonde to amber range. Esters should be at medium to high levels. Diacetyl should not be evident. Chill haze may be evident. Sulfur-like yeast character should be absent. To allow for accurate judging the brewer must provide information that identifies the classic beer style being elaborated upon (if there is one) or other information unique to the entry with regard to flavor, aroma and/or appearance. During registration brewers may specify pouring instructions, choosing normal pouring, quiet pouring, intentional rousing or not rousing yeast.
Original Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato): Varies with style • Alcohol by Weight (Volume): Varies with style • Bitterness (IBU): Varies with style • Color SRM (EBC): 5- 15 (10-30 EBC)

I looked up some previous winners and they all seem to be Belgian IPA.

My thoughts of the style are as follows:

-tripel plus american IPA = Belgian IPA
-simple malt bill
-highly attenuative yeast to leave a dry finish
-hop aroma and flavor that is obviously american
-a balance of belgian fruity and phenolic aroma with american hop aroma
-lower than usual BU:GU ratio than a typical IPA to keep the bittering from muddying the belgian yeast character
-carbonation that is closer to a tripel than an IPA

I just tried Great Divide Belgica and was very impressed. It seems to meet all the points above and was highly drinkable. So, here is my first guess at a recipe.

10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.77 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %
18.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.6 IBU
28.30 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
28.30 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
28.30 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
42.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
28.30 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (1 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
28.30 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (1 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
2 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.38 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150, Ferment at 68 and free rise to 75, dry hop at 68.

I am open to suggestions and ideas. Thanks.

Eric

If you make this let me know how it turns out. This is a style that I am trying to get down.

barleywade said:
If you make this let me know how it turns out. This is a style that I am trying to get down.

I just got the yeast and grain yesterday. I am brewing this on Sunday, along with Northern Brewer's Surly Bitter Brewer. I will keep you up to date.

Eric

I like that the pro/am is using this style since there isn't a BJCP equivalent style. I'm trying to enter more of my beers into comps to get some feedback, but I'm afraid that it wont matter what category I go with on this one as far as getting quality feedback. I think I'll probably just bring some down to the brewmaster at my local brewpub for pro review.

Maybe BJCP 16E? Described as a catch-all category. Seems to be the closest one on Beersmith.

Comments: This is a catch-all category for any Belgian-style beer not fitting any other Belgian style category. The category can be used for clones of specific beers (e.g., Orval, La Chouffe); to produce a beer fitting a broader style that doesn’t have its own category; or to create an artisanal or experimental beer of the brewer’s own choosing (e.g., strong Belgian golden ale with spices, something unique). Creativity is the only limit in brewing but the entrants must identify what is special about their entry. This category may be used as an “incubator” for recognized styles for which there is not yet a formal BJCP category.

How hoppy do you want to get for a Belgian IPA? I would think that if you make it to hoppy or bitter it would overpower the yeast flavors. I was thinking of going around 40 IBU's.

I'm new to Belgian IPAs myself. A couple of years ago, I tried Stone Cal-Belgique. I thought it was really good. American hops, definitely- citrusy/piney but with a Belgian yeast that made it fruity. I really liked that one, and think you're on a similar track.

i believe that is the same recipe as the Stone IPA but with a belgian yeast

i liked it better than the Houblon Chouffe

I brew Belgian IPA's on the reg as they are my very favorite.
Here's what I've discovered that I like best:
BU:GU_1.00-1.15 with most of the IBU's coming from hop-bursting w/ a smaller amount of cleaner bittering. I don't dry hop these too often, kinda kills the yeast aroma.
Grain bill: 45% Pils, 45% 2-row, 5%-10% Specialty of your choice.
Yeast: Highly attenuative, but MOST of the time I ferment in the lower temp range with a fruity yeast. If it doesn't reach the FG you want, pitch 3711...it will.

That's about it. I really really like these beers.

So, I would love to tell you all about my colossal F-up. I have never screwed up a beer this badly.

So, I was doing a 10-gallon batch of the belgian IPA (number 1) and a 5-gallon batch of Surly's Bitter Brewer (number 2). There were four grain bags: three labeled number 1 and one labeled number 2. I had just finished working a night shift and was running on coffee and fumes.

I doughed in the bitter and it looked and smelled great. Kinda light, but oh well. Started the boil for the bitter and then doughed in for the Belgian IPA. Much to my horror, I could see little specks of roasted barley and crystal 75 in the mash! Then I looked at the numbers on the bag. I dumped in a bag of number 1 for the bitter and two bags of number 1 and the number 2 for the B-IPA.

So, I really have no idea what grain is in each beer. But, I finished them off and am going to ferment them out and try them. The bitter is about 5 SRM and the Belgian IPA looks to be about 11 SRM.

I will rebrew the IPA next week sometime. Doing only one batch. After being fully rested.

Ugh.

Eric

Back