Tell me about your kveik brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bebocklater

Reaction score
I'm 2 brews deep into kveik yeast (a pale ale & a hefe), and formulating some ideas about what to brew with it. To me, it has a distinctive orange/lemon/citrus flavor & aroma that may not work well for some styles. I'm thinking Hazy/Juicy/NEIPA would be a great choice, and maybe a Saison, but I'm kinda stumped about anything else. It seemed to overpower my hefe. What have you folks found?

I've only brewed with it once so you can take what I say with a grain a salt. I used imperial yeasts A44 Kveiking which is a blend of three. I used it for my house American Wheat recipe.

The first month in the keg was rough...there was something about the yeast character that I wasn't liking...it wasn't necessarily sharp but it was this underlying flavor at the end of the sip.

Fast-Forward two more weeks so six weeks total and the flavor is gone...and the beer is fantastic. I used all NZ hops so the lime and citrus notes were through the roof and really did well with.

Not sure if i'll use kveiking again but maybe some different strains with my pale recipe or amber recipes and see where/ if I can find one I like.

I use the KEVIEK liquid on almost every thing. The temp range is unbelievable and no off flavors.

I recently ordered some Skare kveik from Norway for some future brews. It's supposed to have a cleaner, more neutral profile than the Voss I've used, and I'll be using it in a California Common recipe.

I used a Lallemend Voss in a NEIPA with Citra, mosaic, and Idaho 7. Fermented at 95 degrees F and finished in 3 days. Kegged the beer and let it carb for two weeks. It was one of the best NEIPAs I have ever brewed. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about keeping the fermentation temp under control so it frees up space in my fermentation chamber for other stuff like lagers and pilsners.

Voss with its orange rind flavor just seems like a natural for a NEIPA. Care to share your recipe? I'm putting together one of my own, and I'd like to compare.
I find myself energized to create new (or modify old) recipes using kveik yeasts and their unique properties. And I appreciate the decreased chilling and fermentation times; really speeds up the brewday and the grain to glass times.

So far I've made a couple of Imperial Stouts and stouts, a "Dubbel", a german pils and a baltic porter

I recently ordered some Skare kveik from Norway for some future brews. It's supposed to have a cleaner, more neutral profile than the Voss I've used, and I'll be using it in a California Common recipe.
It does work in "lagers", I've used it a couple times

I sued Imperial Pog in a West Coast IPA recipe and fermented it at around 85 degrees F. I let it sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks, kegged it with 1/2 cup of sugar for natural carbonation and didn't tap it for another 6-8 weeks or so. WOW! It had this great hoppy/fruity flavor without tasting like a NEIPA. My wife and sons thought it was the best beer I ever made.

I've used Imperial Kveiking, Loki, and POG. Kveiking has so far been the most enjoyable - super fruity/tropical/citrus-y, but it didn't have a "clean" character. I've used Voss and Hornindal at lower temps and it's definitely been cleaner, almost sulphury like a lager.

All of the beers I've made with Kveik has been outstanding, aside from those with POG, which has been 50/50 hit or miss. Earlier this summer I made an IPA with Waimea and Bru-1, and it turned out fantastic. My latest beer fermented at 95 for about a week, and it's missing all of the tropical character I had hoped for.

Voss with its orange rind flavor just seems like a natural for a NEIPA. Care to share your recipe? I'm putting together one of my own, and I'd like to compare.
I find myself energized to create new (or modify old) recipes using kveik yeasts and their unique properties. And I appreciate the decreased chilling and fermentation times; really speeds up the brewday and the grain to glass times.
12# 2 row
2# white wheat malt
1# carapils
Mash at 152
I shoot for 40 ibus from my whirlpool on all my hazy IPAs.

I've used the Voss Kveik from Lallemand (dry yeast).

Made a Mirror Pond Pale Ale with it that turned out pretty good. Harvested it and made a cream ale, own recipe, and also liked it. It seemed appropriate for both styles, though I think I'd personally dial back the hops in my cream ale. Then I made a brown ale with it and didn't like it. I used a Papazian recipe, but the yeast left a strange aftertaste.

I also used about a spoonful of the harvested Voss Kveik to make a pumpkin ale. Didn't like my recipe, but I think the yeast did fine. It was a 1 gallon batch. So far, I seem to just dislike it in dark beers.

I brewed an ipa with Voss Kveik and to me it reduced the hop bitterness and gave it more juicy orange flavor, so trying to get a 70 ibu ipa tasted like a hazy ipa

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back