Tee in Gas Line, but now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montigeau

Reaction score
I decided to put a Tee in my gas line so i could run two kegs with one Co2 tank. It seemed like a great idea. It works fine.

Now for the what if...

What if I need to force carb one keg (psi 30), but I have another keg on the same tank that is already carbed, and just needs to stay at 10-12 psi. In other words, with the Tee, it's impossible to set one tank to a different psi level than the other.

Unless anyone has any ideas??? Is there another way??

Two solutions, one is cheap, one is free:

1) Simply disconnect the carb'd keg and let residual pressure push to serve. Maybe give periodic blast to replenish pressure. No...you will not loose carbonation to any noticeable degree during the short period you're carbong the other keg.

2) Buy and install inline valves for each of your lines. Simple shut off the valve to the serving keg whilst the other charges.

I have a four-way manifold with additional splitters. I charge my kegs at 30PSI for 48 hours, so temporarily shutting off pressure to my other kegs is no issue.

Now that you have tee'd is a perfect time to get a secondary in-line regulator. They are pretty cheap too. Got mine (Tap-Rite) for $15 at a local Beverage supply.

Multiple volumes with a single reg is do-able but a HUGE PITA involving removing disconnects, adjusting the reg, pressuring, and repeating.

Get another reg and save yourself the hassle. Or, just find a volumes CO2 that you like for everything.

You could get a secondary regulator to have two different pressures. You also could just take the 12psi keg off the gas while you have the regulator set to 30 psi for the other keg, as long as you are not drinking a lot out of the 12 psi keg you should be ok (a couple pints)

Ah the other option is leave it all at 12psi and let the force carb keg carbonate over 1 week instead of 1-2 days.

Ok, not a problem with taking one off the line, if I have to. I wasn't sure if that would work or not.

I actually have another regulator and another Co2 tank, but I think you're talking about something different when you say "Secondary Regulator", right?

Previously, I was using both Co2 tanks, with their own regulators running two different kegs in one fridge. The idea behind the Tee was to make more room in my fridge and make things simpler.

I run three kegs off one one reg and a 3 way tee. When i'm force carbing I just take the other two off the gas till i'm done.

Yeah a secondary regulator is usually split off one tank and gives you two different pressures.

Back