Technique or practice that resulted in biggest taste difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well when I started brewing I wanted to make super big beers. It was a sort of stick it to the man thing since I'm in Utah and the beer at the grocery stores and gas stations is limited to 4%abv. I was making 8% ABV ESBs and 11%abv porters. Nothing wrong with that, but when I realized I could make good tasting beers instead of just super strong beers I brought my abv back into style guidelines and have been very happy with the beer I'm making now.

I also added chest freezers for temp control. Much more consistent end results and much faster turn around times.

Obviously I can echo everyone that said pitching rate and temp control. HUGE difference.

Does anyone have thoughts on how much of a difference quick chilling of the wort makes? Since going from an immersion chiller to counterflow, I definitely get that wort down to temp MUCH quicker, and probably improve the cold break. But I don't know how big of a difference that really makes to the final product...

Yeast starters. I've noticed way less off tastes after starting to use these. I'd probably say temperature control, but im lucky that the room in my basement i ferment in keeps ale temps locked in pretty well, and my cheap fridge balances out lager temps if i leave the door cracked. I'm not locked in to a degree, but they both stay within a degree or two of the ideal range without much hassle.

For me, going all-grain was a huge step for my brewing since it also meant I started doing full boils & using a plate-chiller as a result of not having any other way to cool my wort. I think any one of these by themselves would make a difference in the taste. I have also started making yeast starters before I pitched which also improve the whole process. I have been very lucky in that all the beers I've brewed have been very drinkable & often are some of the best beers I've ever had, period. My goal when I brew is to follow the same basic procedures in an effort to be as consistant as possible.

Definitely temp control. Already had two nice batches come from my temp control chamber. I'm now looking forward to the next batch that is rigged with a two stage temp control (thermowrap) and using a thermowell. Ferm temps have been held at where I want; much tighter control.

IMO, Patience - Temperature - Water Chemistry in that order...T&P are just about tied.

I've tasted a few of my beers that were lousy at 4 weeks and awesome at 8. My problem used to be that a batch was gone by 6 weeks. I supplement my pipeline now (brewing more if that's an option also works) and try my best to not rush anything.

Back