Tea Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made Raspberry Zinger wine before, and it was freakin' awesome. Surprisingly enough!

I was looking up things to make wine with and came across this, anyone tried Tea Wine before? I'm wondering if the lemons are really necessary, I don't like lemon in tea.

http://winerecipes.blogspot.com/2006/10/tea-wine.html

I suspect that the lemon is to add some acidity to the wine. Depending on what the make up of the tea is you may or may not need to increase the bite - the acidity of the wine. My guess, however, (and it is a guess) is that wines made from blends of tea may not have enough zing so you may want to find some way to increase the acidity of the wine. You could add acid blend (a mix of malic, tartaric and citric. The majority of the blend is likely to be malic (apples), followed by citric (oranges and lemons) and perhaps 10 percent tartaric (grape)

I suspect that the lemon is to add some acidity to the wine. Depending on what the make up of the tea is you may or may not need to increase the bite - the acidity of the wine. My guess, however, (and it is a guess) is that wines made from blends of tea may not have enough zing so you may want to find some way to increase the acidity of the wine. You could add acid blend (a mix of malic, tartaric and citric. The majority of the blend is likely to be malic (apples), followed by citric (oranges and lemons) and perhaps 10 percent tartaric (grape)

Well I'm allergic to Citric Acid from fruit (fresh), so the acid blend would probably be the best bet. I'm wanting to use a black tea called PG Tips from England, so I don't know if it would need the lemons or not. I might just add a the same amount as if I was doing a different non fruit wine and see how it works.

Well I'm allergic to Citric Acid from fruit (fresh), so the acid blend would probably be the best bet. I'm wanting to use a black tea called PG Tips from England, so I don't know if it would need the lemons or not. I might just add a the same amount as if I was doing a different non fruit wine and see how it works.

PG Tips ( I grew up in Scotland), is I think simple tea. Not sure how good a wine made from such tea will be but you may want to look at herbal teas. I suspect that herbal teas will have more complex flavors (hibiscus, ginger, roseflower, anise etc) simply because they are often blends of flowers and fruits.

Back