Taste shift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infected

Reaction score
So I have had a few Sierra Nevada pale ales recently and they just don't taste the same. It seems the hop flavor that I remember is gone and barely existent. What happened? Is it just me? I do like IPAs but drink a lot more Belgians. What's going on here I feel like it's a cruel joke. I guess I'll just have to make a hopped up pale ale with cascade.

That's what I thought but I got a few from work the day we got a case for the store and it is the same thing.

It sounds like a classic case of Lupulin Threshold Shift. You've grown accustomed to the presence of hops in beer so you are numb to its bitterness, flavor, and aroma. It leaves you with the want for more, only compounding the issue even further.

I have been using Flonase so maybe it's a side effect from that.

Allergies and allergy medicine "can" affect your sense of smell and taste. Just two night's ago I came home to an aroma wafting from the kitchen. I half-jokingly asked the wife what was burning. She said nothing...

Then, "Uh... Probably the garlic bread..."

Yep, left the garlic bread in the oven due to being distracted by her computer duties.

Anyway, we point is that it's strange because she was always a much better smeller than I was, but since taking allergy medicine her sense of smell is different. At the same time, as I started taking a regular dose of allergy meds I think my sense of smell is much better, usually.

But in this case, I think you are just suffering from having too many IPAs. I fine plenty of IPAs taste "Bland" to me when I've had plenty of them recently. Lupulin shift. I have to take time off of hoppy beers to fully appreciate them. Or try some stronger IPAs.

Back