Tapping our Cask IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/blog/lo-rez-anniversary-fest-tapping-our-cask-ipa

Last Saturday, a couple of us from our homebrew club, CHAOS, were invited by Lo Rez to participate in their first anniversary festivities and we had a blast! Steve made a delicious strawberry blonde ale, which had just the right amount of tartness to it to make it a perfect, easy-to-drink hot-day-in-the-summer beer. Justin brought a variety of his flavored Berliner Weiss beers. And Hugh and I tapped a cask of our IPA. You can watch Hugh tap the cask in the video below - remarkably little drama, no large gushes of foam everywhere, he's a pro.

If you're interested in learning more about casks, here's an article I wrote for homebrewtalk.com

The anniversary fest was a great event. We were outside on a beautiful, warm summer afternoon. One of the things that Lo Rez does so very well (besides brew beer) is partnering with the local community. They had small local businesses and artisans, social service organizations, artists and restaurants there, as well as a few other small Chicago breweries. This is exactly how to do it - make your brewery a part of the community.

20180614_100651.jpg

For example, the folks at Instituto Grafico de Chicago were there, printing tshirts from artist-made blocks. IGC is "dedicated to maintaining the critical activist tradition of Latino printmaking that unites communities of struggle around the world. IGC offers arts education programs for new generations to engage in printmaking as a social force. This network of printers comes together to advance the legacy and vitality of printmaking by hosting community events and creating opportunities for artists . . ." They've been at Lo Rez before and their art is fantastic. Ignore the model above, they have no control over that.

Two other highlights for me were meeting young Elliott Lilly, the son of the Lo Rez brewer, Kevin Lilly, and visiting again with the folks from the El Paseo Community Garden, a local community garden. We talked about the hops they are growing - the Chinooks are running wild - and about maybe a brew party in the autumn! On Sunday afternoons, at 5 pm, you can stop by the garden and watch or help the bee keepers tend the garden's hives. We need to do another batch of our White House Honey Ale beer!

34155848_1347960425339987_7959877209097764864_n.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a great time. I am so jealous!

When you visit next, if its still summer, we'll take you over to get a beer at Lo-Rez on a Sunday afternoon and then over to the El Paseo Community Garden just two blocks away for the weekly maintenance of the bee hives. It is really cool - two bee keepers take apart the hives, use smoke to quiet the bees a little, etc. They do it every Sunday at 5 pm.

Back