Tapped her with no gas!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREWCRE8TIV

Reaction score
What is the worst that will happen to my liquid gold by filling a few pitchers before my Co2 supplies arrive early next week? I primed the keg and it has been sitting for about two weeks and the first few glasses are very tasty. It is only a five gallon keg that is not quite full and friends will be showing up shortly. However, will the integrity of the beer(if any is left over tomorrow) be lost by not having the gas? I brewed a few times many moons ago, but hated dealing with the bottles. Now, I plan to brew morning, noon, and night with the addition of a few kegs to my arsenal. So much easier of a process!!! Great site by the way.........BREWCRE8TIV

You won't hurt anything by pouring a few pints, but I bet a few pitchers will kill any of the residual pressure that is keeping your beer carbonated. You want to keep a bit of positive CO2 pressure on your keg at all times. If the pressure drops too low, your beer will go flat. In any event, DO NOT attempt to re-pressurize the keg with compressed air - the oxygen content in ambient air will ruin your beer.

The first pitcher or two will be ok, but it will get flatter as you go. If you have any left & re-carbonate when the CO2 rig arrives it will be fine, as long as no air was introduced.

The title of the thread could have been a little worse.....I could have incorporated someones family member and some keglube, but this site does seem family friendly.

There's nothing wrong with tapping with no gas and letting it pull in air as long as you primed it and you drink it all within a couple of days. "Real ale style" You'd need a beer engine or pump to get it out though.

I am waiting for a co2 attachment to come in the mail early this week. I pulled six or seven pints off the keg last night and it tasted wonderful...I plan to go pull a few more after I finish this reply. I will do my best to "kill" the keg in as little time as possible. B

Referring to cornies as "her" is definitley not P C - but damn does it work. I plan on tapping her for some REAL (OMG it is really, really real?!?!??!?! I'm sooo glad i didn't use modern technology to ruin my beer!!!!) stout later this week.

Back