Tap a draft system questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
Can someone help me understand the tap a draft system. I've been reading up on these, and they seem that they would work for what I want. Less hassle bottling, without all the equipment of a full kegging setup. How long can I store the beer in the tap a draft bottles before I tap? Using the paintball canister and a regulator conversion seems like the way to go. How quickly does a beer need to be finished once tapped?

I had a tap a draft setup before I got into full on kegging. I had something like 9 of the plastic kegs and 3 taps. They worked alright and were certainly better (to me) than bottling full batches. The taps can be a little cheap feeling sometimes and I did have 2 of them go bad on me over the course of ~3 years (the co2 pressure relief valve would fail and they would leak co2 and sometimes beer depending on how it was sitting in the fridge). I have never had any of the actual plastic kegs go bad, and I must have refilled some of them more than 10 times. You can think of them as fancy bottles. Beer can be kept in them indefinitely if the proper sanitation is maintained. I have stored beer on tap in these things for >6 months with no change (besides positive aging) in quality. For any given batch, I would add priming sugar as usual then fill 2-3 of the kegs and then bottle the remaining beer. I always bottle conditioned in the kegs because I was using the small co2 cartridges and they can be expensive. Since I had so many kegs and only a few taps I would bottle condition in the kegs with regular screw caps, then when a different keg kicked and I had a free tap I would just swap it onto a carbonated keg and put it under co2 as quickly as possible. Make sure the beer is cold before you do the swap or it can foam all over the place. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Back