Tangerine Wheat (gone wrong)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bward6449

Reaction score
as of now I've done 6 brews but the tangerine was only my second, I got a few lbs of local tangerines for free so why not. . . the wort tasted good, and sweat. going into the secondary it tasted like shock top, but after adding more fruit to the secondary and racking into a tertiary it was sour. . . I let it sit for 2 weeks to clear before bottling but was still sour at bottling. it's been 2 weeks in bottles and still sour, was hoping it would mellow out. the beer itself it solid, nice head and everything just a sour taste. was it just too much citrus or did it get infected somewhere? also noticed it was kinda bubbly before bottling. . . like a sparking wine

I added 12lbs to both wort and secondary. lbs is whole fruit I zested all and peeled. dropped into wort at flame out and going into the secondary I boiled it first.

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G.1.053 (72% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G.1.015 (72% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G.1.052 (98% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G.1.010 (81% Actual Attenuation)
ABV5.6%
IBU14.9
SRM7.0°L
Color

Malt Bill
Malt NameWeightPPGSRMType
Wheat Dry Extract6.00 lbs1.0448.00Extract/Adjunct

Hop Bill
Hop NameTime AddedWeightAA%Type
Tradition60 min1.00 oz6.0%Pellet Hop

Yeast Details
Yeast StrainQuantityAttenuationFlocculation
Muntons Ale Yeast172Low

Dates
1/4/15Brew Date
1/11/15Rack Date
1/17/15Rack Date
1/30/15Bottle Date

I honestly think it's more from just a lot of citrus fruit...there's a ton of acidity in tangerines.

I would do like the Germans do with Berliner Weisse and dose your glass with a sugar syrup to balance out the tartness.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/Berliner_Weisse.html
Because of its tartness Berliner Weisse is almost never consumed straight. Instead it is drunk "mit Schuss," that is, "with a shot" of raspberry or woodruff-flavored syrup the former being readily and the latter being next to impossible to find in North America. Add about of a jigger of syrup into the glass and pour the Berliner Weisse over it. Because of the syrups' colors, Berliners often order their Weisse simply by asking for a "red" (left) or a "green" (right) one.

Back