Talking with a friend... distilling beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is correct. The terms “single” and “malt” are not modifiers of each other. Single means juice from one distillery. The opposite of single is blended. Some whiskies incorporate juice from 3 dozen distilleries. Malt just means malted barley. The terms are not connected and do not relate to each other.

Blended whiskies are not bad. Johnnie Walker is a prime example. I’ve also enjoyed Chivas since my earliest days of tasting scotch.
I always have a bottle of black on hand best bang for the buck for scotch i have found.

I’ve only had the American Oak, but I agree. Not a fan.
I'm definitely an Islay/peaty fan, although I have a huge collection of all types of SMWs. I remember taking my first dram of Auchentoshan many years ago and thinking to myself, wth is this? Light with grassy notes. Ugh! Well, I did need to finish this bottle eventually, since I could NEVER serve it to friends. And maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome, but I really did develop a fond appreciation for it, not for everyday, but for a nice break from heavy peats and ordinary highlanders, and always keep a bottle of it on the shelf. Having said that, my local SM Society still poo-poos it, and calls it the Lady's Whisky (with apologies to the fine ladies in the audience!).

A few dustilleries malt their own barley for part of their production: Bowmore, The Balvenie, Laphroaig, Kilchoman, Highland Park among others. Springbank, i think is the only distillery in Scotland to do 100% of their own malting.

True for both Single Malts and Blended Scotch. Darn iPhone !

Unless I'm wrong (and multiple sources say that I'm not), "single malt" is only malted barley, and only *one* distillery. The blending of a single malt can come from multiple barrels of multiple ages, but must be 100% malt and only from that distillery. If there are multiple distilleries it is not a single malt. Full stop.

"Pure malt" blends (or any other term saying "malt") must also be only malted barley but can be multiple distilleries. Other blends (ie generic "Blended Scotch Whisky" can include other grains.

There is single malt Irish that is the same. Pure pot still Irish is also single distillery but can have unmalted barley too.

(apparently the modern term as of the last few years is "single pot still" since regulators in the US don't like the term "pure"?)

(Either way I love my Redbreast almost as much as my Lagavulin)

Can't do Proper Twelve. McGregor is human excrement and I won't knowingly give him a dime. No opinion on how it tastes as I've never tried it.
I don’t watch MMA or have any idea who he is. I have read that people have some strong feelings though. I bought it to try and it’s not bad. I’m sure there are better.

20210103_175757.jpg

Skol!

Unless I'm wrong (and multiple sources say that I'm not), "single malt" is only malted barley, and only *one* distillery. The blending of a single malt can come from multiple barrels of multiple ages, but must be 100% malt and only from that distillery. If there are multiple distilleries it is not a single malt. Full stop.

"Pure malt" blends (or any other term saying "malt") must also be only malted barley but can be multiple distilleries. Other blends (ie generic "Blended Scotch Whisky" can include other grains.

There is single malt Irish that is the same. Pure pot still Irish is also single distillery but can have unmalted barley too.
I have been on the Whiskey Tour in Scotland many times and have been told that it is a mixture of years. According to Wikipedia you seem correct, but I think they talked about different distilleries for the blend. I could be wrong about that, but that is what I remember, that Single Malt to only refers to barley. I do know that the casks are stored in different distilleries just in case of a fire. So all the casks in a warehouse may belong to different ones. I have to ponder this, maybe over a nice Ardmore, which does not have an age. It is a slight peaty Single Malt that costs little.

Back