• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Talking with a friend... distilling beer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OpenSights

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously scorching would be a concern, but has anyone tried it? If possible, what would be a good/bad style? Or possible at all?

TGFV

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant your typical commercial whiskey
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure most whiskeys, just like Scotch (which is a style of whisky) are hop less, due to there being no need for the bittering or preserving nature of them, and because the oils can both potentially "contaminate" the condenser and leave a off flavour to the finished product, at least in comparison to if it had been hopless

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score
I would love to be wrong but I've heard that any hops at all will cause a nasty flavor in the distillate.

Slightly OT, but I wonder what something darker with roast and crystal malts with a super malty flavor like an Octoberfest (without the hops) would taste like compared to the standard super pale single-malt?

TGFV

Reaction score
I would love to be wrong but I've heard that any hops at all will cause a nasty flavor in the distillate.

Slightly OT, but I wonder what something darker with roast and crystal malts with a super malty flavor like an Octoberfest (without the hops) would taste like compared to the standard super pale single-malt?
You can do hopped beer, but you have to go slow to keep the hop oils from going into your column from what I've read.

And I saw a thread on homedistiller that listed the taste effects of different specialty grain.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine mashed and fermented 30lbs of chocolate malt. Needles to say, it failed to ferment. Instead of tossing, he added sugar and re-pitched with much greater success. The distillate tasted like... Chocolate!! Quite pleasant.
LOL, reminds me of when i was 17-18 and first getting into homebrewing.....tried mashing raw rye berries thinking it would work!

greywolf

Reaction score
I had a small distillery's hop whiskey once. They called it Hopsky. Actually was pretty good. I was at a Brews and Blues in Hermann Mo and don't remember who made it. There was a stout cask whiskey that was excellent there too. Good time.

TGFV

Reaction score
A friend of mine mashed and fermented 30lbs of chocolate malt. Needles to say, it failed to ferment. Instead of tossing, he added sugar and re-pitched with much greater success. The distillate tasted like... Chocolate!! Quite pleasant.
Did they add or use any enzymes? Without a good helping of them added there wouldn't have been any usable sugars extracted from the grain.

Though I could easily see that being a delicious sugarhead. Honey malt is also a great addition like that too.

mschoeffler

Reaction score
Charbay does a hopped whiskey using Racer 5 IPA as a base. It has a night “green” note to it but not what you’d call a traditional hop flavor.

Reaction score
Did they add or use any enzymes? Without a good helping of them added there wouldn't have been any usable sugars extracted from the grain.

I don't know, but I'll try to find out.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I going to try this sometime this year. I have heard plenty of stories about more complex worts getting distilled. Stout whisky for example. My initial idea is to brew up 10 gallons of my Brown ale which is not terribly hoppy, ferment 1/2 for beer and 1/2 for distillation. Might do a stout, might do a rye beer.

TGFV

Reaction score
I going to try this sometime this year. I have heard plenty of stories about more complex worts getting distilled. Stout whisky for example. My initial idea is to brew up 10 gallons of my Brown ale which is not terribly hoppy, ferment 1/2 for beer and 1/2 for distillation. Might do a stout, might do a rye beer.
Hope it works out well for you. One of my favourite whiskeys was a second running from a dark roasted braggot that was abv bumped with sugar (so a sugarhead whisky).

The roasted notes worked amazingly with the slight sweetness from the sugar ferment, and when oaked was easily one of the better whiskeys I have drank.

Brewbuzzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question guys. I'm going to brew a 10 gal batch using two roll and a friend is going to distill it. What should the OG be?

Jayjay1976

Bubblegazer
Reaction score
WTF even is "two roll"? Toilet tissue?

Edit: just wanted to add, the Original Gangster is likely the one doing time and brewing said toilet paper moonshine. And getting shanked with a toothbrush shiv. Or is that shived with a shank?