Taking the plunge... From kits to all grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
I have given myself 12 months to move to all grain. Partial mash on the way of course. Went looking for a 25l pot with a heavy base today. $180 (au) so that will have to wait until payday. Walked into the camping store and came out with this burner. 36000btu so should warm things up. Going to use in tomorrow when I make a stout. Giddy up!

Okay I can't post the photo from the phone. Might later...

I have just made two batches of ginger beer and a wheat beer from a kit. Wheat is tasteless.
Not going to use kits again!

Happy brewing!

I am. I have to drink them all to get the bottles free for my next batch! Just found out that I have some cash available so will be going to buy the pot tomorrow. :tank:

Whoa!!!! Before you buy that pot, decide on what your goal are for all grain. You may decide that 25L pot isn't really big enough. You also might be surprised to find that the heavy bottom isn't necessary. You'll be boiling wort that is primarily water and you don't really need to have the heavy bottom to spread the heat like you might if you were reducing tomato juice to make pizza sauce.

How big is the pot you used to make the two kits? You might have a pot big enough to start with right now. I use my 20 QT pot (I suppose without doing the math that it is probably 18 or 19 liters) to make half size all grain batches via the BIAB method. I have a 30 qt "turkey fryer" pot to make the full size batches via BIAB and while it works for me a bigger pot would be nice.

RM-MN said:
Whoa!!!! .

Yes, an inexpensive aluminum 40 liter pot may serve you much better than a $$$ clad bottom 25 liter pot at a fraction of the cost.

Double your batch size is a good starting point for a brew kettle IMHO.

I just brewed my first ever AG batch (and first ever full-boil) this morning, and I'd strongly encourage a 40l pot even if you are doing a 5gal/19l batch. I started the boil with 7gal/26.5l. I could easily see myself running off another gallon for a heavier beer of the same batch size in order to keep efficiency reasonable.

I agree with all, you will be very unhappy with a 25L in the future, definitely go bigger. You could probably find a keggle for much cheaper than that if you look around.

Thanks for the advice. The pot was also going to be for cooking. I have had a rethink though. Beer is going to come first! 40l aluminum pot is the go.

I will be making my first AG with my son next Wednesday...calling it "Tall Boy Chocolate Milk Stout"...be it that he is 6'5" and I am 6'4"...I like it.
I bought the NB 10 gal set, plus PH stabilizer, Calcium powder etc.
Like you...I wanted to perfect extract brewing first, then I brewed a partial mash...which is really not any different than extract. I gave myself a year, but 8 months into it - I am ready.
Cheers

Might be getting some old beer kegs...
I am standing in my cellar just now listening to my stout bubbling. I think it might be my second favorite sound. :D

Back