Table Salt vs Sea Salt in a Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhite94621

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I am hoping to brew a gose. I am just realizing that I do not have sea salt. My choices are iodized table salt or epsom salt. Does anyone have any advice on which would be better to use?

This is my recipe

Tomorrow, I am hoping to brew a gose. I am just realizing that I do not have sea salt. My choices are iodized table salt or epsom salt. Does anyone have any advice on which would be better to use?

This is my recipe

Table salt will work just fine. I believe the difference is the sea salt has some mineral additions that come naturally. The grain size/shape of crystals could be different (which is why some people prefer Kosher salt for cooking) but thats irrelevant here because you are dissolving it. You won't taste a difference in such a small addition.

Finally, if I may recommend something about Gose - leave salt/coriander addition till the end, or do very minor addition at boiling time and then add again by taste at kegging/bottling. Its easy to over-do the salt in the Gose (as well as coriander).

Definitely don't use the Epsom salt - it's magnesium sulfate and not remotely close to sodium chloride.

I'd wait until post-fermentation too. I've gotten in the habit of using Kosher salt for meat brines and other stuff because when you use huge amounts, some say you can detect the iodine. I don't think 21 grams in 5 gallons would give you a detectable amount of iodine, but if you can wait to do the salt addition until you have the proper stuff, why not?

Thanks for the feedback. Despite high hopes to brew on Christmas day, I ended up losing the kitchen stove top to Christmas dinner related activities so I will be waiting until I can buy sea salt. Taking you twos advice, I will go ahead and halve the amount I was going to put in then add accordingly after a post-fermentation taste test.

Isn't sea salt all natural and table salt is iodized typically? Not sure what taste difference that would make...

I have read and always been of the opinion that the iodine in iodized salt could be potentially harmful to normal yeast development during fermentation. For this reason I have never used iodized salt and always use sea salt.

Sea salt does not have iodine or any anti caking additives. Just good ol NaCl.

Latest posts

Back