Salt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
My home water is already high in sodium so I have never had to include salt as part of my water treatment, but I finally bought an RO filter and now need to increase the sodium level a little. Is regular table salt ok for this or should I use a specific type: kosher, iodized, non-iodized, sea, etc, etc?

In an attempt to not start up a new thread...

Wife used up all the non-iodized Morton's salt that I had been using, so I thought I'd goto the store and pick up some more yesterday. That..is when I noticed that some of these salts use an anti-caking agent in the ingredients. I thought...well, I don't want to add that junk to the beer...at least now that I'm paying attention.

So..does it matter? Should I not care..or should I look at other salts which are both non-iodized and do not have anti-caking agents in them? I've got kosher, himalyana and sea salt already in the cupboard, all of which don't explicitly call out anti-caking agents in the ingredient listing.

thoughts?

To treat RO water, I buy coarse ground sea salt and grind it before using it. As for anti-caking agents, this is the first I am hearing about them being added to salt.

Back