Syrup, and old grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
Quick question. I have some grains, not too old, but old enough that I don't want to make beer with. I was thinking of mashing them and then taking the runnings and boiling them down and making a syrup that I could put in mason jars for a later beer. What do you think? I had bought the grains already crushed for a RIS, but didn't get around to making it. Has anyone ever done this?

I haven't done it, but just thinking out loud, it would seem like you would use a massive amount of fuel/electricity in boiling it down... then it would be more susceptible to going rancid as a syrup... then you would have to add the water back when you decided to use it. Besides, you said you don't want to make a beer with it, but you contradict that statement by saying you want to make a beer out of it later. I say just make a beer now and see what happens!

I didn't think about it rotting. I figured that instead of having a potentially bad beer now, I could use the syrup to add a unique flavor for another beer. The thought process was along the lines of candi syrup. You may be right though, might just go ahead and make a beer. Didn't know if anyone had ever tried it. Thanks for the response.

I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't be like a candi syrup... it would be more like LME. Good Luck!

Why not turn it into wort for starters and use a canning system and can it? LOTS of people do that but they keep in the fridge.

Back