SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i might be able too but im not sure whats going on yet, ill let you know later this week,

as of right now ill be riding with my mom and brother out there, unless i spend the night at a buddies house, if i spend the night i can def do it, but if i travel with my ma, more than likely not.

btw i just realized one of your quotes... and thats from dumb and dumber, i can almost quote that movie word for word.

I cant on Saturday, we race unless its rained...if it rains out ill come up then. However ill proably come on friday after work if thats cool with you Cidah. Ill drop the 6ers off then. Rust if you get over early week leave mine. How many do i need to bring? Im not able to do yeast growing yet so it wont help me.

Friday should work for me - rust - if you want to do the same (come friday evening) and can, let me know. Looks like we are two sixers in each.

so I will co-miserate with you - I was a bit low on my mash for the torpedo, and it came out much dryer and less sweet than my previous batch. still good, but a bummer that I missed that mash temp. That us what I get for bottling and not paying attention to it like I should have- doh!

Also - once the grain is in I should be free most days of the week after work for pickup (if people want to come in during the week).

Thanks!

ORDER RECEIPT

I just received the confirmation call this morning for the grain -
we will be receiving the order in 5/17/2011 (Tuesday afternoon).

Grain will be available for pickup any time after that. Please follow these common courtesy guidelines if possible:

1. let me know when you plan to come (HBT or text me).
2. If you give me a text message just telling me you are on your way in - that is appreciated so I can look out for you and have things ready for you to weigh out, etc.
3. If you have a longer term wait before grain pickup - just let me know so I can put the bags aside so they don't obstruct access in my garage.

I ask this simply because I have a dog and a wife. Both tend to freak out when strangers arrive unannounced, especially if I am in the backyard and they are in the front ;) I don't mind if you need to change pick up plans - I consider these all very tentative.

Tentative Planned Pick Up:

jhenderson - Friday (evening)
Rustbucket - This week - TBD
wheadman66 - Early June - TBD
WPStrassburg - Saturday
Stunsm - Tuesday (evening)
BigBrew54 - Saturday

Albany
JayMckeever - Driver - Saturday (12pm ish)
Brewdiver
Gergelgat
Brehuh

Brewscampbell - TBD
TwoGunz - Saturday (12pm ish)

Thanks all - much appreciated.

ok, sounds good, friday i cant do no matter what, unless it is real late, i prob wont be getting into syracuse until 11-12 at night from rochester, so what if i get out to your house this week cidah, ill drop off my six packs, and when jhenderson comes down, he can take mine and ill drive out again to grab "mine"

ill keep you informed of the plans as they progress this week, everything just seems to be piling up all at once.

alrighty haha, well since i was lazy yesterday and dont have a job, time to go get my brew on... yoopers house pale ale here i come!

first some coffee needs to be made, stupid rainy days.

alrighty haha, well since i was lazy yesterday and dont have a job, time to go get my brew on... yoopers house pale ale here i come!

first some coffee needs to be made, stupid rainy days.

Enjoy - I wish I was able to work out my first lager today - but darn that work thing....

I plan on using kegs to ferment in my refridge (so I can ferment a 10G batch at once). Need to mod a couple kegs with blow offs and get a controller first!

your better off just buying a fridge to ferment in soon! or a freezer....

well we just replaced our fridge - so I have the old one in the basement now.

Would love to get a freezer fermenter - but it would have to be huge! Carboys take up a lot of space

thats true.. when i get a place of my own, i would like to build a small room or a box on wheels for fermentation.. could always make a box using housing Styrofoam with a really good R-rating, then use the fridge parts to cool it or an old air conditioner or something...

I wanna have a lager chamber but the gf is already bent about another 200lbs of beer supplies. I figure ill chill on thag rite now to not tweak her more. I need the wheat to brew her a nice batch.

I wanna have a lager chamber but the gf is already bent about another 200lbs of beer supplies. I figure ill chill on thag rite now to not tweak her more. I need the wheat to brew her a nice batch.

I hear that ;)

When you brew your BM wit - put a bottle or two aside for me. I think I am going to brew the AHS wit (blue moon clone) version and I will do the same for you. I am curious to compare these two head to head. Of course this might take a while before we actually swap bottles. I "might" brew this this weekend, but not sure.

Hey rustbucket - how long did it take your bavarian hefe (ed's) to condition?

I just brewed it this last weekend, hoping it might be drinkable when a couple friends visit memorial day weekend. Is this a pipe dream? ~14 days?

My buddy did the ed worts heffe and drank it all at a party 3 weeks later. He could have at 14 days but had no keg to chill and force carb. You should have good still kinda green beer by 10 days of fermenting able to be kegged if you dont mind ultra fresh beer. Granted its not ideal, it can be done.

My buddy did the ed worts heffe and drank it all at a party 3 weeks later. He could have at 14 days but had no keg to chill and force carb. You should have good still kinda green beer by 10 days of fermenting able to be kegged if you dont mind ultra fresh beer. Granted its not ideal, it can be done.

Yup - I know most hefes can be drank as early as 3 weeks (usually I let mine sit in the primary for 3 weeks). I totally forgot that Rust might have bottle carbed this one - .i.e. no way to check for an early tasting. Worst case is that I have 10G of hefe on tap (after my friends show up).... darn....

um, you force carbing? i did not bottle carb, i forced carbed. if you are 5 days it took me at 18 psi, i put the ratio about 2.8.. i think the heffe is really good green, personaly i like the heffe, really really young, i think it brings alot more things to the party than later on when the flavors mellow togeather. yes i still have one set aside for you! and its about 2 months old now or somewhere in there. if i had the room i would be brewing another batch of that one, it was good! went though a keg in about 3 weeks, mainly me drinking it.

14 days is completely duable, i even think that 12 days is, i let mine ferment for longer than i expected becuase i didnt have kegs at the time to put it in. mine was pretty much done fermenting at the 7 day mark, and if you put up your pressure high, then 2 days later bring it down to about 18, i think you will have it right about where it needs to be, remember you can serve heffs really high in carbination!

sorry this is so late, i was brewing and then sat down watched tv...

I'm currently working a contract for work that has me working nights mon-thurs. Down in Maryland so I'll most likely be a Saturday pick-up as I'll be driving home Friday morning and am usually a zombie by the time I get home. Thanks for being so on top of things cidah, from the time the the group buy opened to sending in the money and having everything delivered in under a
Months time seems killer to me!

um, you force carbing? i did not bottle carb, i forced carbed. if you are 5 days it took me at 18 psi, i put the ratio about 2.8.. i think the heffe is really good green, personaly i like the heffe, really really young, i think it brings alot more things to the party than later on when the flavors mellow togeather. yes i still have one set aside for you! and its about 2 months old now or somewhere in there. if i had the room i would be brewing another batch of that one, it was good! went though a keg in about 3 weeks, mainly me drinking it.

14 days is completely duable, i even think that 12 days is, i let mine ferment for longer than i expected becuase i didnt have kegs at the time to put it in. mine was pretty much done fermenting at the 7 day mark, and if you put up your pressure high, then 2 days later bring it down to about 18, i think you will have it right about where it needs to be, remember you can serve heffs really high in carbination!

sorry this is so late, i was brewing and then sat down watched tv...

Rust- thanks for the info- just what I was hoping to hear.

Regarding the carbing - I toss my kegs into the keezer warm and crank the PSI up to 60 and leave for 24 hours. That gets it drinkable, then I leave it at 30-45 psi for 4-8 hours, then to 13psi. Funny you mention the high carb on hefes - I was finding myself cranking up the gauge for them :)

Bigbrew - thanks for the head up!

Regarding the carbing - I toss my kegs into the keezer warm and crank the PSI up to 60 and leave for 24 hours. That gets it drinkable, then I leave it at 30-45 psi for 4-8 hours, then to 13psi.

:eek: Is this your standard for all your beers, or just the highly carbed ones? I've been putting mine on 20 psi@50º for about 10 days, when I tried even 30 for 2 or 3 days they were wild and unpredictable.

:eek: Is this your standard for all your beers, or just the highly carbed ones? I've been putting mine on 20 psi@50º for about 10 days, when I tried even 30 for 2 or 3 days they were wild and unpredictable.

This is the standard for all brews. Usually I do the high pressure, then switch to 13psi and 3-4 days later it is stable. Once it is at 12.5-13 psi it is balanced so it stays at that for distribution. Sometimes for a darker brew I might go 12 psi.

I think that if you put in a cold keg and crank to 60psi - you will probably over carb (colder brew absorbs more CO2 than warm). But I am putting in a keg at ~68F - it takes my rig a bit to chill it out.

Your not shaking them are you?

I would try going high for a short period - 8 hours or 24 - then checking. Just be warned - depressurize the keg before you hook up a party tap to check pressure. I always shut the line off at the manifold - depressurize keg, crank down pressure, turn manifold on, adjust to 13 psi - then add the party tap line. 60psi might blow your party tap connection off.

cidah, sounds good!

i think when i served mine it was about 3.0 ratio, which was alot of fizzy, which i really liked, when i was researching that i saw that people were going up to 4.0 so what you doing its going to be really hard to over carb!

plus when you up it up that high, it gives you that awesome heffe head that does not quit.

btw, do you think it would be ok if i came out tomorrow after you get home from work? to grab my stuff? (kegs), grain isnt a big rush, but i would like to drop off some rice hulls for jhenderson for my trade of 2lbs c120 with him for this weekend, and the six packs, after he comes ill come out and pick up the rest of my stuff.

plus i think i need you number again..................................... everytime i forget to write it down.

Rust - works for me, I probably will be painting in the house or, if lucky, replacing a few gutters that aren't cutting it anymore. will PM the number

hate painting

so do i, since i live at home for the moment, iv been doing work around the house as my payment, and i had to paint the arbor, all the railings to the deck, and re-stain both of them.. not fun... i finally got my trellis in place tilled and everything then this stupid rain comes along again before i could get my hops in the ground.

these guys are in pots right now and are about a foot long at the moment and are taking off like wild fire.. over the 3-4 days they have grown 10+ inches.

but i stripped and cleaned bottles yesterday for the exchange, ill be filling them tonight for you guys.

quick question for you guys... im now just interested in a saision... but i dont think that i have ever had one.. so my question of you what is a good commercial one to try before i put forth to making a batch then find out i dont like the style?

quick question for you guys... im now just interested in a saision... but i dont think that i have ever had one.. so my question of you what is a good commercial one to try before i put forth to making a batch then find out i dont like the style?

I personally have never had one - but I know El_Exorcisto (from first grain order) has made a couple of them, I think with cascade. You may want to PM him and see if he has any info on it for you.

ORDER UPDATE

I just received the confirmation call - i should have the order in hand between 1-1:30pm today.

I myself don't have a great example of what they are. I thought they were just seasonal brews- but that they varied depending on region. So the question being... where to start? :)

true, i will be in rochester this weekend, maybe i can hoax my mom into buying a six pack of different saisons for me at beers of the world.

Sweet deal. Ik great lakes makes one called grass roots. Was not a fan. But i hate that style. Ik ommegang makes a good one.

- All is good with the order!

PICKUP when ready.

Remember - bring something to cart away your splits

jhenderson, you still good with that trade rice huls for c120? im giong to give you 8-10lbs for 2lbs of c120?

yeah dont pull a me and forget everything at home, then ask cidah for trash bags!

haha - yeah this time you will be in trouble. The wife bought the febreeze smelling bags.... yummy. Not sure even black patent would taste right after being stored in that haha!

that is the newest brew style... trashbag flavored/aroma ipa!

ok jhenderson, ill package your lb-age up tonight so i can bring it to cidahs when i head out there this week. what do you prefer? black trashbag, or black trashbag? hahahaa,

ill bring a ziplock baggy for the 2lbs c120 and leave it there. (1 gallon freezer bag)

so there is a discussion on the main general chat that is discussing the saison's right after i asked about it.
they are recommending:
~hennepin form ommegang
~ saison dupont

rustbucket said:

I'd recommend Saison Dupont and ommegang Hennepin. It's been awhile since I've had Dupont but I have Hennepin fairly frequently and it's great, although since it's an american it's higher ABV than I think is normal for the classic style.

I'm in Atlanta on business and actually had a dark saison out the other night that was pretty interesting - Stillwater A Saison Darkly.

Back