SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again Cidah for making this happen. Now i just gotta brew with all the new supplies. Cant wait to try out those brews from you and rust. Definatly looking forward to the dfh from rust and the amarillo from you cidah. Also the blood orange my gf is dying to try. In the coming weeks i will be doing bluemoon clone, a marris otter porter, my house pale ale, and stones black ipa. Ill set some bottles aside!

sweet!, so i scored a ton of stuff at beers of the world today while i was out there for graduation

~Lagunitas maxiums
~green flash west coast IPA
~green flash hop head
~saison dupont
~ommegang hennepin
~great divide titan ipa
~goose island IPA
~Troeg's Nugget nectar

nice gents, i was enjoying the hefe, then I tried the torpedo again - I might not have missed the mash so bad - I think I was early on it. Good stuff with a retaining head. I decided to save your brews until tomorrow+

Like jhenderson said - be sure to let us all know what you think of the swap so we can brew better!

brewing that wit tom am!

sounds good, comments are always appreciated, whether it be bad or good. that i have a direction in which way to push and adjust!. i love scientific method! haha.

Cidah,

The blood orange heffe is great. My gf thought it to be very flavorful and enjoyably citrusy. Found it great and I don't like wheat beers. Very good mouthfeel, crisp and refreshing. Good aroma and lingering taste. A little to carbonated for my taste but now my gf wants the recipe as she loves it.

Rust,
dfh60. Very nice. Hops are spot on, just a shade darker than dfh and a slight bit more malt, however very balanced and extremely tasty. Perfect carbonation. the lasting hop flavor is very smooth and pleasent.

Overall guys both were stellar. Cudos

very cool! I have yet to try any of your brews - but will be having some this week.

Funny about the hefe. It seemed as time went along I wanted more carbonation, then a little more. I wonder if the same will happen for you when you make it. That hefe is really growing on me (not a wheat guy either!). I can definitely give you the details on how I did the recipe. PM? Mouthfeel improved significantly since the 14 day tasting - very silky.

At first I was disappointed in the younger version of the hefe - it seems like it really rounded out. Next time I make the BO heffe, I think I will wait 4-5 weeks before trying. I tried this at 2 weeks and it was good - but its much better now! Now I find myself craving it.

Yah PM me the recipe ill add it to my list. I got all the stuff for bm bluemoon this weekend. Stoked to make it. It was too nice to brew yesterday. Just enjoyed the weather.

Cool - I actually went ahead with the recipe this weekend on Sat - bubbling away in the fermenter right now! Went with some extra grain and 1lb of oats (just as noted).

Will send that recipe PM soon.

Just sent it. that is for a 11G batch. If you don't have beersmith or similar to convert let me know.

I know you are a fan of dry yeast, but from what I have read and heard, you need to use a liquid yeast on wheat brews or they won't turn out as they should. (Same goes for BM wit that you plan to do). Also, ferment temps are crucial. I ink 68-72F is right were you want to be. Much lower and you lose the desired esters.

I perfer dry yeast but have used wyeast and white labs a few times. I can grow a starter i just perfer not to. However with the lower abv i dont see a need. Ferment tems are gonna be perfect to hit with the warmer weather.

I perfer dry yeast but have used wyeast and white labs a few times. I can grow a starter i just perfer not to. However with the lower abv i dont see a need. Ferment tems are gonna be perfect to hit with the warmer weather.

If you are doing 5G - I would recc no starter anyhow. Desired esters may not form if you over pitch on wheat and witbiers (I have been reading). Anecdotally I can't speak to that - but not worth me risking a 10G batch! :) I did a 1 liter starter because I had a double batch.

EDIT: 1 pint

*ferment temps and weather* Must be why these brews are so popular in the summer!

All this talk of summer brews make me wish I had one right now!

The wife and I did a tasting on three beers last night:

Jhenderson - Had your red ale last night - pretty good. I thought the carb was a bit high, but I just let it sit a second and all was well. Great hot sunny day brew. It had a nice aftertaste i would attribute with the style and that thirst quenching aspect as well. Can't wait to finally brew my killian's irish red spin and see how it compares.

Rust -

Had the hefe - unfortunately I didn't look how much of a cake was in the bottom of it, so when I gave a good swirl - I over did it. That one I can't fairly comment on because for the most part I just got yeast flavor - bummer! I really was looking forward to that one but i blew it! looked like a washed yeast jar in my pint glass.

DFH60 - my wife commented right away - this is good beer, but it is too young. I think it was a little unbalanced and needed maybe slightly higher mash or less/cleaner bittering hops; Or Maybe just a week or two to condition would do it. Thought there was a great beer in there, but the hops weren't balanced for me.

I am looking forward to trying a couple more tonight!

Thanks, the redale was my first shot at bottling with a carbed beer using the beermuncher setup. Its a great lawnmower or grilling beer. Not a pounder though.

Thanks, the redale was my first shot at bottling with a carbed beer using the beermuncher setup. Its a great lawnmower or grilling beer. Not a pounder though.

Cidah im getting to your porter tonight! My favorite style.

Cidah im getting to your porter tonight! My favorite style.

I hope you enjoy it. Haven't had one in a while, but with this rain.... It is a nice treat. I won't taint your opinion too much - will wait for the tasting notes. :) Enjoy!

Oh yeah - can you tell me the other brews you had in there? it was black B caps were torpedo, yellow cap was vanilla porter, a light beer (not sure on color of cap) and don't recall the other one.

Solid black cap was either vanilla porter or american light. Gold was choclate stout. B cap with no red in the b was torpedo

thanks.. lol, i haven't had anyone's yet, just have not had the time to sit down and give them a shot.. but ill comment as soon as i do!

I do agree that the DFH is a bit green... ill pull a little more off the keg this weekend too see how it is.

aww that sucks on the hefe tho...

Next time I'm definitely getting in on the swap, you guys are making me thirsty. I'll have to spin up on my all grain quick. Most of the people I share my brews with can't really give me good feedback other than if they like it or not.

lol, um we are goign to i think again in a month or so... after we build more up of our pipeline i have another 4 being ready in the next month.

Cidah, you should be good to go on "my" arrogant bastard this weekend.. i opened one tonight and its well carbonated. to me it still does not taste anything like the original... like i said.... its worth a try. this weekend i think im going to do yours/mine/stones.

i say this weekend, because if you drink these during the week.. you may have to call into work the next day :p

if my buddy is brewing with me this weekend, im moving up my Denny rye ipa to this weekend to show him the ropes.. hes been dieing to brew.. so im making it a good one for him!

Next time I'm definitely getting in on the swap, you guys are making me thirsty. I'll have to spin up on my all grain quick. Most of the people I share my brews with can't really give me good feedback other than if they like it or not.

Sounds good to me! It is always good to try lots of different brews. It helps you rate your own, and get a sneak peak on future recipes too. Just start pulling some aside until we can make it happen.

Rust - really sucks on the hefe - I was looking forward to see what it would turn into since I have an almost two week old hefe on (just started carbing) that I plan to serve this weekend. Oh well - guess I will have to wait it out! The Denny's Wry smile is awesome - I am thinking one of my top 3 favorite brews right now. Good hop throat punch and absolutely worth your time.

By the way you are right about that arrogant - I better taste them all quick, they are potent. Problem is that the brew is so smooth and has a nice malt character. Easy to drink that one too fast if you aren't careful.

Jhenderson - torpedo was very tasty - I love that recipe. It is weird because when I first tried torpedo (sierra's torpedo) it was like the R rated guy. Not sure I like him, wasn't necessarily routing for him, definitely didn't trust him. But in the end turned out to be a good dude. Torpedo grows on you. It is going to be one of my "house" IPAs. Solid sipper IPA.

Thanks. I really enjoy the torpedo. I feel its pretty damn close. Te only thing id like to change is the chill haze thy got at first. Its seemed to go away on some.

i picked up a sixer of torpedo, and wow all its have been drinking it really is a nice sipping beer... i have to taste your guys soon, i put the blood orange in teh fridge last night... so i may have that tonight cidah do i need to roust it or is it good to go for the most part?

then i have a whole bunch of commercial ipas to try (i cant wait) the ones i listed this past weekend in post 443

i picked up a sixer of torpedo, and wow all its have been drinking it really is a nice sipping beer... i have to taste your guys soon, i put the blood orange in teh fridge last night... so i may have that tonight cidah do i need to roust it or is it good to go for the most part?

then i have a whole bunch of commercial ipas to try (i cant wait) the ones i listed this past weekend in post 443

There isn't a ton of yeast in the bottom of the bottle because it was in a keg for about a month. i.e. you should be able to pour and give it a good swirl without ill affect. Take a peak at the base of the bottle though just in case I am wrong ;) I would hate to have you get a yeast slurpy.

great mouth feel to that one - goes down smooth on a hot day. I need to get another of those going (glad I grabbed another bag of wheat). That is one meant for summer tap distribution. The wife really likes it and was asking about when I would do it again.

lol, sorry i when i put yours in teh bottle i didnt realize it was that "yeasty" but when i pass out my summer ale, i f'ed it up and forgot a 1lb of flaked wheat.. so i missed my gravity by 5pts, :( and because of that it might be over spiced... but we'll see how it turns out.. and ill set one aside for you guys...

but im trying to figure out my efficiency still (getting close).. i see this exponential scale that i have going on for less grain and higher % which it should be.. but just trying to dial it in on everything..

yeah i would do those arrogant bastards on the weekend, and plan on not doing anything after:p... the one i had last night really put a buzz on me...

Ha - not your fault at all - I was the over zealous knucklehead who gave it a mighty swirl.

That Arrogant will get you!

as i write this.. tasting the blood orange hefe.. i think its perfectly carbed right now. i like the wheat taste from it... i get very little citrus... (edit, later on i started to taste more citrus, i kinda like that in this brew adds some "flair") could be because my taste buds are shot :p...

but its a does have a great taste.. i do like the occasional wheat beer. and this one is pretty good! i think that on a hot day this would hit the spot! juts like a summer ale/ blond

as i write this.. tasting the blood orange hefe.. i think its perfectly carbed right now. i like the wheat taste from it... i get very little citrus... (edit, later on i started to taste more citrus, i kinda like that in this brew adds some "flair") could be because my taste buds are shot :p...

but its a does have a great taste.. i do like the occasional wheat beer. and this one is pretty good! i think that on a hot day this would hit the spot! juts like a summer ale/ blond

Yeah I thought the flavor of it was better than most wheat brews - but I didn't get a mouthful of orange like I was expecting. However - later I did end up liking the stuff alot. There is a good amount of monkey work with the orange stuff in the recipe (not sure all that is warranted for the citrus that you get out of it). All said, I plan on brewing it again.

Tasted the bavarian hefe I have half carbed last night - pretty good. I can see where it is going and I think it will be a keeper. Wish I had another week or two of age on it though!

Not a huge wheat guy either. However the higher ferment temps, quick ready times and the draft potential of these brews in the summer is really appealing. I think i will try to keep a hefe on deck all summer if I can.

I keep my pale ale or porter all year. I dont care on color vs time of year. There is nothing better than a cold beer anytime

right now im not keeping a "regular" beer on tap, im basically doing a rotation... trying different recipes to see which ones i really like. the dfh60 is really the only one i plan on keeping right now on tap. all the time for the most part.

Back