SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, i wasnt sure how you wanted to do that... those rice hulls take up so much room, i have like 16 lbs or something like that, and it takes up an entire grain bag almost.

PICKED UP:

stunsm
CidahMastah
Brewdiver
BigBrew54
WPStrassburg
JayMckeever
Jhenderson
Gergelat
twogunz
Brehuh
BrewsCampbell
wheadman66
rustbucket

rustbucket said:
cidah plan on me tomorrow.

well hard night of volleyball, time to continue having some homebrew. :)

One of my favorite things about volleyball is you can drink while playing (well pretty close to playing)

I was just reading through this thread. I am in Watertown about an hour north of Syracuse. I may be able to get some kegs around $30 to $35 for ball locks if there was any interest. I think there might be 6-7 available.

Super bummed I missed out on this ... haven't checked HomeBrewTalk in a few months cuz currently I can only brew outdoors and ... well, we live in Syracuse ;-)

I'd love to get in on this next time, maybe someone can PM me if I happen to miss it ... long shot but would be appreciated

So any big brew days scheduled? I didn't know there were this many people from Syracuse on HBT ... would love to get together

Pete

One of my favorite things about volleyball is you can drink while playing (well pretty close to playing)

its is a good time, i sit there and drink my beer inbetween games, and while i wait my turn to get back in the game (subs)... haha, sadly they have the BMC crap there + labatts to drink while playing, so i opt to pay the extra two bucks to get sierra Nevada PA:fro:

i can already see it, my liver is going to hate me after this summer, since im brewing so much at home, playing volleyball 3 days a week.. the what ever on the weekends

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a light beer while playing/enjoying sports. I personally do not want to be power drinking a quality home brew to just piss it away. Btw there is nothing wrong with a super cold coors light!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a light beer while playing/enjoying sports. I personally do not want to be power drinking a quality home brew to just piss it away. Btw there is nothing wrong with a super cold coors light!

Hey now!! Coors is pushing it! haha

I used to like Coors, but now I can barely drink it. It's not that I am a beer snob either. My "go to" brews for light or similar styles a coors are 1. PBR and 2. Blue/Blue light

As for upcoming brew sessions:
1. AHS Witbier - blue moon clone
2. Killian Styled Irish Red
3. A belgian quad
4. Pilsner Urquell or Spaten clone (if I can find a good one)
5. A new Pale Ale (can't get amarillo hops)

So many brews planned, and so little time. I need a double session to catch up!

One thing to add - at you per beer price you COULD pound quality home brews and save money on what you would pay for labatts or similar - Ha! Viva bulk grain buy! But I agree with you jhenderson

Quick question, where do you local guys go to for Co2 fills? Is there anyplace that will fill your own tank or are they all just swaps?

Quick question, where do you local guys go to for Co2 fills? Is there anyplace that will fill your own tank or are they all just swaps?

I go to haun - but it is only swaps. I also jumped up to the 20lb tank.

i can not drink blue for the life of me, i think it taste like a role of nickels plus even one or two blues gives me a terrible headache. ,

i drink pbr in a pinch, and the light beers just dont cut it for me anymore, they just taste straight like water. never cared for coors tho, id rather drink BL over it. but i agree with you on the lighter beers when its warmer out, but since we are stuck in this "rain forest" climate at the moment, heavier beers are working for me!

haun, where i bought my 5lb tank. so they swap it out, sun hydro, refills tho, at least i think if you have a shinny CO2 tank

cidah, not sure if ill be making it out today, but if not today tomorrow is a def!

here you on the rain forest stuff. I cracked into one on my Arrogant clone brews last night - that stuff is pretty tasty. Glad I sort of forgot about it down there haha. Can't wait to do the blind taste test with 4 versions!

no problem on the pick up.

I can't say anything bad about coors lite I enjoy it and they sponsor me. Enjoy a coors lite twisted tea or molson canadian. All proud sponsors on my dirt modified

ok, jhenderson, i gave you 9-10lbs or rice hulls, somewhere in there i think... haha, the trash bag is half full, when i head over to cidahs tomorrow, ill drop that off and put it with your stuff.

i dont mind molson now and then either

Just grab your 2lbs of crystal. Ill pick the rest of my share up friday nite. Unless you dont ride with your mom down and can grab mine. Otherwise friday ill be up cidah.

Sunset Hydro on Erie is like 60% of the price of Haun ... they exchange 5lb's and refill 10 and 20 I believe ... gotta come back for the refills tho

Are you sure on the price? When I first went there and asked, the price was almost exactly the same as haun - but haun's tanks were in better shape. I checked when I got my keg set up in like Nov/Dec last year

Just a place holder so I can find this:

Tentative Planned Pick Up:

Stunsm
Rustbucket

jhenderson - Friday (evening)
WPStrassburg - Saturday 9:30am ish
BigBrew54 - Saturday
TwoGunz - Saturday (12pm ish)
Brewscampbell - TBD

Albany
JayMckeever - Driver - Saturday (12pm ish)
Brewdiver
Gergelgat
Brehuh

wheadman66 - Early June - TBD

BOLD GREEN = PICKED UP

Are you sure on the price? When I first went there and asked, the price was almost exactly the same as haun - but haun's tanks were in better shape. I checked when I got my keg set up in like Nov/Dec last year

Last time I filled up was ~October of 2010. I think a 5lb replacement at Haun is like $18 and was ~$11 at Sunset. And then a 20lb refill was only like $22 or so at Sunset ...

Last time I filled up was ~October of 2010. I think a 5lb replacement at Haun is like $18 and was ~$11 at Sunset. And then a 20lb refill was only like $22 or so at Sunset ...

worth investigating then for the 5lbers. I think they charges me ~23$ for my last 20lber fill at haun - but don't quote me :) thanks for the tip

Jhenderson - I think you said you were jumping on the BM's Blue moon clone soon. I decided I am going to hit that recipe too. I am going to make a few changes though (I think):

10G batch:
1. goose the grain bill to up the OG of no more than 1.054.
2. add in 1-2lbs of oats
3. add in 1 lb of rice hulls - to help combat oat gummy action

If you go ahead with the recipe as is - let me know. would be cool to swap a bottle of that at some point to see the difference the oat addition makes.

I am gonna be doing it. Less coriander though. I will be down for that. Ive been reading your back and forths with them in that thread.

I always try to do the recipe as is first, so I am still debating. But the fact that there are oats listed as ingredients in the beer makes me want to put them in. The extract wit I did was ok - but the wife wasn't enthused. I want this one to be spot on. I am just going to use regular quaker oats and put them through my mill

for what i understand, you dont have to grind up the flaked oats or anything for that matter that is flaked, they are good as is

for what i understand, you dont have to grind up the flaked oats or anything for that matter that is flaked, they are good as is

yeah but I plan on using quaker regular oats. Just because I might not get a chance to hit the LHBS and I don't know if sunset has them. read somewhere that you should use quick oats or the regular oats through a grinder.

Did you hear something different? this is my first time using oats

did not know about that, or read about the oats that you mention, i just know the rolled grains are good to go as is.. lol

btw what is your color skeem for those bottles?

So this is for Rust and jhenderson:

Orange cap = Blood orange hefe - peaking right now, drink soon

Light blue = moose drool - this one probably needs 1-3 more weeks conditioning but I had one last night and it was getting good

silver cap = amarillo IPA - ready now

Silver with letter P - Amarillo Pale Ale (citra dry hop) - ready now

Dark purple = Wruht 56 Porter - Ready now

Black cap = obsidian Stout - Ready now

oh cidah i forgot to mention, when you drink that heffe, roust it if you like the yeast in suspension. it was like a cake on the bottom before i started to move it around.

yup - thanks for the heads up on the hefe - didn;t know that whole bit until I brewed the blood orange :)

OK - two things:

1. Jaymckeever - when you come, if you can bring a scale. I noticed yesterday when rust picked up that I am not good for much if we have one scale going and you have splits for a bunch of people to do. If we have another scale I can help you with working through the splits. That said you guys have a pretty big order, so I can also just load you up with bags of grain!

2. Just weighed my stuff out this morning - man my grain store, er... reserves are looking good. Love the smell and ... I better get to some brewing!

Looks like I am brewing in the morning Sat unless something whacky happens. So if you show up and I am in a tear - you will know why! Don't take it personal

I read somewhere on here that quick oats are simply rolled thinner than standard oats-making them quicker. Earlier this year I used standard oats and just added it to my 1hr mash. Worked great and the beer came out awesome.

I read somewhere on here that quick oats are simply rolled thinner than standard oats-making them quicker. Earlier this year I used standard oats and just added it to my 1hr mash. Worked great and the beer came out awesome.

Good to know - I read similar stuff but I read the quick oats were just cut up smaller to increase surface area, hence they cooked quicker. Looks like now I have the oat part resolved... Now the question is just how much oats should I use ;)

OK - two things:

1. Jaymckeever - when you come, if you can bring a scale. I noticed yesterday when rust picked up that I am not good for much if we have one scale going and you have splits for a bunch of people to do. If we have another scale I can help you with working through the splits. That said you guys have a pretty big order, so I can also just load you up with bags of grain!

2. Just weighed my stuff out this morning - man my grain store, er... reserves are looking good. Love the smell and ... I better get to some brewing!

Looks like I am brewing in the morning Sat unless something whacky happens. So if you show up and I am in a tear - you will know why! Don't take it personal

didnt mean to keep you out that long away from your painting :drunk: lol

Back