SWMBO will be obeyed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew in the kitchen, but I usually do it when my wife is gone. I think the only times I've brewed when my wife was home was technically not brewing at all (for example: cider, which is not brewed).

She has never gotten mad at me about brewing before, but if she did, I'd just remind her that the entire reason I started brewing was because of her. I'd wanted to brew for about 5 years before I actually started and when I mentioned that to her once, she said "Then why don't you?" and suggested I go out and buy the equipment and start brewing immediately. :)

I'm pretty picky with relationships, but it was hard to resist in this case when we were at a bar with 40+ taps and she was waxing sad about how the homebrewing equipment went to her ex in the divorce and she needed to round up some new equipment. Our pact is that the only life we willingly birth on this planet is that of yeast propagation.

I was mostly just trying to be funny with the SWMBO reference.

My wife is totally cool with my new hobby. In fact, while she is not a beer drinker, many of her friends are and they are loving the beer I've been gifting out to them.

Quite frankly the home brewing hobby has brought us closer together.

I was mostly just trying to be funny with the SWMBO reference.

My wife is totally cool with my new hobby. In fact, while she is not a beer drinker, many of her friends are and they are loving the beer I've been gifting out to them.

Quite frankly the home brewing hobby has brought us closer together.

Same. She has no idea what is going on and honestly doesn't care. She just loves throwing stuff into the pot though. Not only that, she does dishes while I make beer and it gives her time to talk and talk and talk when I have no option but to listen. It works ;)

My SWMBO made a fatal mistake...she was the one that bought my first homebrew setup a while back as a gift. Now she can never complain about brew days, or I remind her that she started it, her fault. :ban::rockin:

Same here! She asks once in a while if I am reading "beer crap" again and then asks how much more could you possibly learn about beer.... my reply is you will never know everything about beer and you got me started. Her response last time was, "I thought you would be bored with it by now. "

Bored with beer? What, I haven't even tried every style of beer yet.
Got to love her though 23 years and counting. And the crazy woman has been taking care of me for the last 6 months.

As for brewing. ... always inside.

I've got the in already...I'm currently single, but when I meet someone and they're not cool with my hobbies, then that relationship won't last. There has to be mutual respect, and that includes pursuing personal interests and supporting that. My last gf was cool with it. I got her into beer actually.
I just don't get people sometimes, it's like, your wives want you to never leave their sides, but don't want you in their way. Jeeezuz, why do they need to be so dependent on you? It's nice to have someone around and be needed, but there's a line...
I guess if you guys are spending 8 hours brewing multiple days a week, or whatever, then I guess I can understand the complaining. Ya gotta spend some time together...
I guess y'all are more cut out for marriage and family life. Not me...

I brew inside on the stove. I always do the dishes and clean up the kitchen first so it's a win-win. She's not a big fan of the boil-overs on the newish stove though haha.
SWMBO got me my equipment for Christmas several years ago so I can blame her for the addiction. She hates how much I spend on brewing stuff and "stinking" up the house, but rarely complains. After 15 years together she knows I'm not changing and supports my hobbies. Hell, when she went shopping earlier she got me the bags of cherries I needed for my cherry wheat. She's a keeper!

I've always brewed outside in the garage, mainly 'cause it's the only place with enough room to store my brew stuff and our kitchen is too small. The only drawbacks are that with three kids I often spend the evening before brew day cleaning the garage up so I even have room to brew. That and making sure the kids don't let the damn dogs in the garage while the wort is chilling. After flame-out I turn into a Nazi until it's in the fermentor and yeast pitched. My wife is really supportive of my brewing and she likes most things I brew. I just try to make sure to brew on a weekend where we're not doing anything or at least get dibs on a weekend or two in advance each month, especially during the summer when we're super busy. My oldest son goes to the LHBS with me and helps out with things like milling grain and pouring the strike water in the MLT. He likes the brewing process but sitting & watching a pot boil isn't quite his thing yet. I'm working on it though! :)

Back