SWMBO will be obeyed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh crap. If you're calling her SWMBO, it's only a matter of time before you start calling your garage a "man cave" and start referring to a "man card", all of which is a symptom of being insecure in your maleness. Don't go there.
But bravo on getting promoted to the Brewery Where Cars Used To Be Parked!

Oh crap. If you're calling her SWMBO, it's only a matter of time before you start calling your garage a "man cave" and start referring to a "man card", all of which is a symptom of being insecure in your maleness. Don't go there.
But bravo on getting promoted to the Brewery Where Cars Used To Be Parked!

I disagree. SWMBO is a goof. Declaring a space for yourself "mancave" is not insecurity. It is healthy, productive and approved by me.

I would never tell my wife to stay out of some place that I deem sacred. She is welcome in any place in the house that is named 'kitchen' or 'laundry room'. You guys are so sexist.

I would never exclude my wife or any woman from my man space. If they are bending over, cleaning up and offering a good view, they are welcome. So you Dont let her in the bedroom then?

I knew better. I planned and started out in the garage. Lol!

I usually brew in the early morning on the weekends. It's easier with kids.

You have to draw a line in the sand though. I give my wife a two week notice when I'm going to brew. I'll brew Saturday and Sunday morning. 20g total. She don't like it? Tough shiit. I gave my notice. Lol!

Overall, it develops a schedule... and most women like things scheduled. It's that odd ticking clock in their heads that most men are missing (We're actually missing a lot up there... but Hey!!!). All I know is that it works for me and the wife, and "happy wife, happy life." I couldn't ask for anything more... well maybe, but I'm not gonna post that here. Lol!

Everyone needs a hobby, and time to enjoy said hobby. It makes us overall more productive, and fulfills a need for an outlet from our everyday lives. It will make you a better person, and a better partner for your loved one in the long run.

Basically, stand firm now on things you truly enjoy, and she'll be thankful for it in the future. Nobody likes a crabby, bitter old man. Move to the garage? No biggie. You're probably better off, and you can buy bigger equipment! Stop brewing? Nope. Not gonna happen. I'll quit brewing if she starts mowing the lawn every week. (I think my hobby is safe. Lol!)

Note to self: Stop posting on HBT after a night of imbibing on the sweet nectar of the Gods...

I knew better. I planned and started out in the garage. Lol!

I usually brew in the early morning on the weekends. It's easier with kids.

You have to draw a line in the sand though. I give my wife a two week notice when I'm going to brew. I'll brew Saturday and Sunday morning. 20g total. She don't like it? Tough shiit. I gave my notice. Lol!

Overall, it develops a schedule... and most women like things scheduled. It's that odd ticking clock in their heads that most men are missing (We're actually missing a lot up there... but Hey!!!). All I know is that it works for me and the wife, and "happy wife, happy life." I couldn't ask for anything more... well maybe, but I'm not gonna post that here. Lol!

Everyone needs a hobby, and time to enjoy said hobby. It makes us overall more productive, and fulfills a need for an outlet from our everyday lives. It will make you a better person, and a better partner for your loved one in the long run.

Basically, stand firm now on things you truly enjoy, and she'll be thankful for it in the future. Nobody likes a crabby, bitter old man. Move to the garage? No biggie. You're probably better off, and you can buy bigger equipment! Stop brewing? Nope. Not gonna happen. I'll quit brewing if she starts mowing the lawn every week. (I think my hobby is safe. Lol!)

Note to self: Stop posting on HBT after a night of imbibing on the sweet nectar of the Gods...

I think you're gonna turn out just fine.

Everyone needs a hobby, and time to enjoy said hobby. It makes us overall more productive, and fulfills a need for an outlet from our everyday lives. It will make you a better person, and a better partner for your loved one in the long run..
That's why the easiest method is to make sure she has a time consuming and fulfilling hobby to pursue while you're brewing. Everybody's happy.

SWMBO = She Who Must Bend Over

A garage is a GREAT place to set up shop. It seems that women only enter a garage to drive the car out, or to toss their junk in it. But, there is an exception to every rule. When I married my future ex-wife, I told there were spiders and bugs in the garage. I thought that would keep her out. Instead she called Terminix and had the house bombed. At that moment I knew I was done for.

As I brew, I clean the stove top, counters and pots & pans left over from the night before (I brew in the mornings). I also will mop the floor if something splashes. There is NO way she will kick me out of the kitchen. She sees it as a win-win, since she enjoys the finished product as well.

I do most of my brewing outside and I love it. The only time I'll brew inside is when I'm doing a small batch on the stove. Be happy you're outside! Most of the ingredients in your beer came from outside so brewing outside is appropriate.
Brewing in the snow is even better. It's so quiet and peaceful. I feel that ambience makes its way into the beer and I get that same feeling when I drink it a few weeks later. Embrace the garage!

I've never brewed indoors. I have trouble even envisioning the scene after one of my epic IPA boilovers or the common "forgot to close the valve" accidents.

I brew on a patio with a long drain. When I'm done, everything gets hosed down.

I have a lot of respect for brewers who make it work on the stove. It's already a lot of work. That would really slow me down.

I think Monks have it made. . .

Man, no kidding. Why do you guys get married? It sounds like your wives don't respect you for wanting to do something that is your own interest. I'm not saying I want to be single forever, but I certainly won't marry a woman who won't respect that I spend a fair amount of time on my hobbies.
I suppose it's kids...those, I don't want. That solves a lot of problems right there.

I've been married 1 month and I hate brewing on the stove. She doesn't care, I'm the cook anyway. There is just no room, my pot is big and heavy duty. The little electric stove takes forever to heat it. It is just a tiresome experience, we are so cramped in this apartment. Once we get everything in order we are going to make the jump and see if we can afford a house. I can not wait to have a dedicated space for myself. In the meantime, I am kind of hoping to get a propane fueled burner so I can take my work outside into the snow. It will be easier all around.

They banish you to the garage, then get pissed about how much time you're out there. :D

HA!! I am newly married. I got in "trouble" for getting in the way in the kitchen so I went out to "my space" in the garage. Later that night I was in trouble for being out there all night. WTF? I just laughed because I know that she doesn't really know what she wants. But we are learning how to live together. Life is good and I wouldn't change anything! Okay, now I am lying. I would change a few things, but not the really important things.

EDIT: I should add that she is amazingly supportive of my brewing habit. It is amazing to have someone that respects my interests.

Never get in the way of a woman with a plan (or a shopping list).

I find that a shopping list is entirely useless.

SWMBO: "Can we run over to TJ Maxx, I just need to look for 1 thing"
Me: "I guess... But just that thing"
1 hour and 45 minutes later after checking every single aisle in TJ Maxx for new stuff
Me: "I thought we were just looking for a whisk" (if I knew I could take a nap in a chair and not get harassed it wouldn't be so bad)
SWMBO: "Stop rushing me"

Don't get me wrong, I love getting the kitchen gadgets they have on sale and I can sometimes find random stuff in TJ Maxx that I can convert for brewing use. I barely like spending 2 hours in places I like to be. In and out, get what I need, look at what I want to look at, and go.

We were out running errands last Sunday and we drove by the lhbs, it was open! It is never open on Sunday. I told her I'd like to go in and get some tubing and a bag of crystal malt, that I would be quick. She decided she wanted to come in, it was her first time. She doesn't like beer, or at least I haven't found one that she would drink even though she will try them all. We are however making a cider for the first time, she loves them. Long story short, I put my crystal and tubing on the counter and look over and she has a half dozen items she picked out. I'm pretty sure my eyes welled up because the lady behind the register gave me a hops candy and sent me on my way. It was a good day.

I also brew outside, most of the time. Swmbo actually likes the smell and enjoys that I clean the kitchen afterwards but I just enjoy being outside. However, when the winter turns really cold I go back to the stove because it helps to add some heat and humidity to the house.

I love brewing in the garage, cant imagine brewing anywhere else unless i had a dedicated brewery room in our house.. and that isnt happening ever. Make messes be loud buy more gear and have room for it, ferm chambers grain storage etc. I joke that I have a 1 car brewery.

HA!! I am newly married. I got in "trouble" for getting in the way in the kitchen so I went out to "my space" in the garage. Later that night I was in trouble for being out there all night. WTF? I just laughed because I know that she doesn't really know what she wants. But we are learning how to live together. Life is good and I wouldn't change anything! Okay, now I am lying. I would change a few things, but not the really important things.

EDIT: I should add that she is amazingly supportive of my brewing habit. It is amazing to have someone that respects my interests.
You make me appreciate where I am in life (and in brewing). We're celebrating our 5th anniversary this month, but this is the second time around for both of us, so most of the "learning how to live together" was figured out by messing it up the first time around. I brew in the garage because there just isn't room for it in our house, and if I spend all day in the garage brewing, she knows where to find me and will pop in while I'm brewing. No grief, no mixed messages. Now I do, out of courtesy, let her know when I'm brewing, and it's not unusual for her to use the time for her art projects, and I know when I want to see her, I can pop into the art room and visit.
And unlike my first wife, she LOVES beer, which totally rocks!

I find that a shopping list is entirely useless.

SWMBO: "Can we run over to TJ Maxx, I just need to look for 1 thing"
Me: "I guess... But just that thing"
1 hour and 45 minutes later after checking every single aisle in TJ Maxx for new stuff
Me: "I thought we were just looking for a whisk" (if I knew I could take a nap in a chair and not get harassed it wouldn't be so bad)
SWMBO: "Stop rushing me"

Don't get me wrong, I love getting the kitchen gadgets they have on sale and I can sometimes find random stuff in TJ Maxx that I can convert for brewing use. I barely like spending 2 hours in places I like to be. In and out, get what I need, look at what I want to look at, and go.

kinda like this?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8JV5aNBh1E[/ame]

(my wife sent me that this morning)

I brew in my detached shop, and my Wife brews with me and / or when our Brew Club is over @ my shop.
She especially likes it when brewing something she likes, ( re: not too hoppy!).

Been together 39 years, and married for 34.

We kinda' got each other figured out, and of either of us........Don't ask a question, if you don't want to know the answer.........Appropriate or not!

My SWMBO made a fatal mistake...she was the one that bought my first homebrew setup a while back as a gift. Now she can never complain about brew days, or I remind her that she started it, her fault. :ban::rockin:

You make me appreciate where I am in life (and in brewing). We're celebrating our 5th anniversary this month, but this is the second time around for both of us, so most of the "learning how to live together" was figured out by messing it up the first time around. I brew in the garage because there just isn't room for it in our house, and if I spend all day in the garage brewing, she knows where to find me and will pop in while I'm brewing. No grief, no mixed messages. Now I do, out of courtesy, let her know when I'm brewing, and it's not unusual for her to use the time for her art projects, and I know when I want to see her, I can pop into the art room and visit.
And unlike my first wife, she LOVES beer, which totally rocks!

My wife and I get along very well. I just have to chuckle sometimes. The best advice that I got when I got married was to always give grace to the other person. No matter what we are going to disagree. We didn't grow up together so we didn't learn the same ways to live life. It isn't easy to always be graceful and loving but it always pays off. That doesn't mean handing my wife my balls. There is no respect in that and a good relationship has plenty of love AND respect.

kinda like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8JV5aNBh1E

(my wife sent me that this morning)

(Preface this post that I've been with SWMBO for over 4 years at this point and I am going to ask her to marry me this coming spring so I complain, but she lets me brew more often than I should and spend money on brewing stuff more often than I should)

It's only offensive as a stereotype if its not true. I sent this to SWMBO immediately (on the very rare occaision where she doesn't make me go there and she goes by herself or with her friend, I know I have about 7 hours of free time).

Target is one of my other worst enemies, the dollar section is basically my version of hell. Target, TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart are the three major offenders. If I go to hell when I die, I'm positive it will be like Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, but instead of a pink bunny rabbit chasing me or a drill sergeant yelling, it'll be walking around one of those three stores for all eternity.

I got kicked to the garage years ago (thank you very much) and now I love hitting that garage door opener at 6am on a Saturday morning! Great alarm clock!

Back