switching to full 5 gallon boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinit

Reaction score
question is with the high btu burner sp50 is it possible to still scorch the brew,on any burner for that matter, like my stovetop has a turbo burner the flame is covering the bottom of the 5 gallon pot I know about stirring but even at that can the brew be scorched?

Are you doing extract? If so I'd still suggest stirring for a bit while your add the extract. If it's all grain, you shouldn't have to worry about burning the wort.

If you're not doing all grain yet, what's stopping you? Grab a bag, and go BIAB! It'll let you be a lot more flexible with recipes, and only add another step and an hour or so to your brewday.

Yes, I've scorched a small amount on an electric stovetop. It's a risk no matter what heat source you use when it's at boiling temps.

You may know about stirring, but there is no other secret way to prevent scorching, (assuming you're cutting the heat off when adding and stirring, that's the only other suggestion as far as I know).

Also I've never had the problem with DME instead of LME, as it seems to only clump and not sink as you stir it in.

the all grain is another reason im going outside with the show, not really fond of the lme

Back