Switch for 2000w 120v element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDAK

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas.

I have a Kal type 2 gang electrical box housing my 2000w 120v element. If is fed by a 20amp gfci protected circuit. I don't want a control box but I want to have a switch to turn the element on/off. I plan to fix the switch to the gang box cover plate.

Will a 20 amp spst toggle switch handle the ~17 amp continous load? Would anyone consider that dangerous?

My idea is to not have to kill power by grabbing the plug out of a socket with potentially wet hands.

Any ideas are appreciated.

If you are concerned about the 20 amp switch, why not get a 30 amp single pole switch?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002E8PJ1G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I know for breakers and wiring, they typically don't recommend sustained loads over 80% capacity, but I'm not sure if that applies to the switches as well. I personally like to have extra breathing room when possible, but also keep in mind that an hour or so of use at a time over 80% should be manageable by the hardware - but speak to a licensed electrician for the best answers.

ETA - what wiring and length are you working with as well? If all of it is only rated for 20 amps, then I wouldn't worry about getting a switch that can do more.

I wired up the switch in parallel with the element and a pilot light.

Using all 12 AWG wiring for main power as well as all 10-12 AWG terminals. Used 14 AWG for the light.
Used 20 amp Neutrik connectors for the main power cable coming into each box.

Just did some leak tests and preliminary element firing. Everything seems to work ok. Had to really cram all the wiring into the electrical boxes though so I am hoping nothing shorts out! Tested all the grounding using a multimeter and all checks out.

20181219_193615.jpg
20181219_193620.jpg
20181219_193632.jpg
20181221_183932.jpg
20181221_183940.jpg

Oops...The Switch is not in parallel. Just switches the hot main power line to the element.

Latest posts

Back