Switch blow-off tube with air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelman

Reaction score
Hi all,

It appears the agressive fermentation is over on my Oktoberfest, which I have in a five gallon carboy. The gas being emitted is very much reduced. Should I take the blow-off tube and put on a traditional air lock?

Also, and this not really related, but for all those turkey fryer brewers out there, how many batches can you get out of a regular sized propane tank? I did my first batch using a turkey fryer this weekend, and it occurred to me that it'd probably be a really bad thing if the gas ran out half way through a boil. :)

Yes you can change it over but does not matter. You can get 5 to 5 batches out of a tank depending on how hard you are boiling. I heat up my strike and sparge water inside so I use less.

I would switch it out, no reason to keep the blow off tube in. Its good practice, in the future if you get really vigorous blow off, the tube may be gunked up and its wise to switch it out. I think that I get about 4-5 batches out of a propane tank. This will depend on your type of burner and how vigorously you boil too.

Back