Can I Just Use a Spunding Valve Instead of Blow-off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmind

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hopefully a simple question. I have a Fermzilla All-Rounder and will be brewing a high ABV beer this weekend. I do not have a blow-off tube for it and was wondering if I could just use my spunding valve and open it all the way so it doesn't keep in any pressure? I'd prefer not to do this brew under pressure.

I guess I just want to make sure that:
1. Opening the spunding valve all the way will work pretty much the same way as a blow-off tube/air lock.
2. I can still use a spunding valve with a high OG brew (CO2 build up won't be too intense, etc.).

Thanks so much!

Yes, you can use a spunding valve instead of an airlock or blowoff, but I wouldn't just open it all the way, because you don't want air and bugs going into your beer. I set mine for about 2 PSIG, which doesn't seem to have a noticeable impact on fermentation.

And yes, you can also do this with high gravity beers, as long as you have adequate headspace and fermentation temp control. Otherwise, it'll blow krausen right through the valve like it would with a blowoff tube.

Back