Fermenting in Keg: Gas Disconnect Blow off not venting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownyard

Reaction score
I removed the poppit and attached a hose to the gas disconnect to a glass of starsan, but for some reason, it's not blowing off. Pressure is building, because when I removed the gas disconnect, lots air blew out. 3 gallon batch in a 5 gal corny. What am I doing wrong??

Last edited:
The gas quick disconnect also has an internal valve/poppet that gets depressed when you connect it to the gas post. By removing the poppet from your gas post this can't happen and the gas QD remains sealed, so by putting the QD on the keg you were effectively resealing the keg. I also ferment in kegs and there is no need to remove the poppet from the gas post when you are using a volume small enough that you don't expect blow off (other than CO2).

The gas quick disconnect also has an internal valve/poppet that gets depressed when you connect it to the gas post. By removing the poppet from your gas post this can't happen and the gas QD remains sealed, so by putting the QD on the keg you were effectively resealing the keg. I also ferment in kegs and there is no need to remove the poppet from the gas post when you are using a volume small enough that you don't expect blow off (other than CO2).
Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Funny how in all the reading I did prepping for this, I never saw it mentioned clearly. Turns out the 1/2 tubing is working perfectly, so I believe I'll just keep using it instead.

Last edited:
I completely remove the gas post and slip a 1/2 silicone tubing over it. works fine.

Once it slows down I'll replace the gas post and put a spunding valve on.

I added a triclamp adapter to my 7 gallon Chapman fermenter, and mounted a sanke to ball lock adapter on the triclamp fitting. I made a gas out to liquid in hose, and vent my fermentation gas into a 5 gallon keg to pre-purge it for the beer I’m fermenting. On the keg, I use a gas out connector to a hose in a 1.5 liter wine bottle with sanitizer.
When the fermentation is done, I do a closed transfer to the purged keg.
I am adding a chiller coil to the fermenter today; I don’t have the space for a fermentation chamber, and it’s been too warm to ferment here in the South.
The only issues that I have had is that my fermenter doesn’t have a spigot and the lids are not designed to hold a lot of pressure; I was hoping for pressurized transfer since the gravity/siphon is slow. Since putting this rig together, I have found a couple used 10 gallon ball lock kegs that I intend to ferment in. This will give me plenty of headspace to continue 5 gallon batches. The only issue here is I will have to build an exterior chiller for the keg.
Oh well, I guess that’s the hobby; 1) brew beer, 2) drink beer while contemplating how to better make beer!

Cheers!🍻

Back