Sweet Wheat, extract (Huell Melon & Citra)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
I finally executed a recipe that I'm proud enough to share with the public. This is a sessionable extract American wheat that is a solid summertime brew, and easy enough for beginners to make.

The aroma is an awesome combo of Citra and Huell Melon sweetness, with a hint of orange from the flameout orange zest. The taste is a bit sweet with noticeable melon from the hops.

I've only made it in three-gallon batches so far, so the measurements will reflect that. If I ever scale it up, I will update this post. The boil is 30 minutes, and I used low-AA Huell Melon hops for bittering so I could hit my intended IBU. The only thing I would change going forward is the color -- it came out on the darker side of pale, which I attribute to the crystal (20L) and melanoidin (25L). A bit dark for a wheat, and probably just outside the accepted SRM for the style, so something to toy with, for sure.

Sweet Wheat (extract)
Batch size: 3 gallons
Boil size: 3 gallons (add top-off water to hit 3-gallons in fermenter)
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
ABV: 4.9%
IBU: ~19

Fermentables
3.3 lbs wheat LME
5 oz pale ale DME
5 oz table sugar

Steeping Grains
4 oz Carapils
4 oz Crystal 20L
3 oz Munich 10L
1 oz Melanoidin

Hops
0.5 oz Huell Melon (30-minute boil)
0.5 oz Huell Melon (5-minute boil)
1 oz Citra (whirlpool)

Other
1.5 oz fresh orange zest (5-minute boil)

Yeast
Safale US-05

I'm happy to field some feedback from those who give this a try. :mug:

Back