Sweet stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The other thread about sweet stout got me thinking (yes the smoke-detector went off.) I have read that breweries pasteurize their stout with heat before adding sugar to make sweet stout. Since this is a pita for a HBer, I was wondering, would freezing the beer kill the yeast in the same manner allowing you to sweeten it?

To get a sweet stout at home don't add sugar.
If you extract brew use extract that finishes with a higher F.G..
If you all-grain use a higher mash temperature, 156-158.
Or you can add some lactose which is non fermentable.
Use a low attenuation yeast.

Definitely agree on the mashing higher. I just repeated a recipe with a much different mash temperature and the difference in these two beers is amazing. Also, if it fits the style, you can use some crystal malt which will contribute almost all unfermentables.

Cheyco, one yeast cell lives through the freeze, and you have over carbonated stout after a few months. Of course, your beer has never made it that long, so maybe it's okay :rolleyes: .

As posted above, all you need is dextrinous sugars that the yeast can't metabolize. I think you can buy dextrin. You aren't gonna make some grapey-pop-tasting Sweetheart, now, are ye??

Just get your all-grain system running, and while you practise mashing, you'll no doubt make a few sweet beers by accident.

Alternatively, grab a Guiness and pour a half can of grape pop into it before you drink??

Freezing won't kill all of the yeast. Lactose is probably your best bet. Most sweet stouts use it and all milk stouts do. I like about 8 oz. in mine, but I've seen many recipes that call for a full pound.

Back