Sweet Smell/Taste After secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tybalthophead

Reaction score
So this was my first attempt at all grain brewing and was a clone of Cigar City Jai Jalai IPA. Im at FG and after 2 weeks in primary, one week secondary and cold crash for 4 days now have a distinctive sweet smell and taste. Not buttery, but more sweet to sour which makes me think acetaldehyde.

The original recipe is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178837

I missed the OG (1.070) by quite a bit and ended up at 1.055. Poor attenuation and technique on my part so I added 3 lbs of light LME after the boil to get closer to 1.070.

I always cleanse with PBW and use Star San to sanitize all my equipment, as well as be mindful of oxidation during post fermentation.

I pitched 1 and 1/2 packs of Wyeast Thames Valley Yeast packs, which were nice and firm. Pitch temp was 68 degrees.

After 12 hours I had an awesome reaction going on, but temps climbing to 76 degrees. I let the yeast go at this temp as it was very active for several days.

At 2 weeks the gravity was 1.012 for 3 days straight and I racked off the yeast cake and let it sit in secondary.

I had it sit another week in secondary and then cold crashed to 38 degrees for 4 days to clarify in preparation for dry hopping.

As I let it come back to room temp (72) to prep for dry hopping, I noted a very strong sweet smell and taste. I added dry hops per recipe.

Now 3 days into dry hopping at 72 degrees there is a still a strong sweet smell and taste, not buttery like diacetyl, but not really apple taste either. Im not sure if I have an infection or have acetaldehyde.

In trying to research I am wondering if krausering would help with some active yeast and sugars, or trying to scrub with CO2 to help get rid of this very strong off flavor.

Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone have suggestions? My 7 extract brews have not had any problems and have been a joy to drink.

I am discouraged from all grain which seemed like the next progression in my brewing career.

Thanks so much in advance from a newbie to the world of home brewing. :mug:

I would think the smell/taste your getting is a product of the high fermentation temps. Most British ale strains work best at low to mid sixties. You were in the mid to high seventies. The excessive temps will cause the yeast to produce off flavors normally kept in check at lower temps.

I would let it age and hope the flavor subsides.

yeah yeast esters tend to be proportional to fermentation temps. Generally with an IPA you are not focusing on yeast character so lower is better. Also, from looking at that recipe, thats a pretty large amount of crystal/cara malts for an IPA which could also contribute to the overly sweet flavors. Im not sure the flavor will subside over time since the hop character definitely will, and that contrasts the sweet flavor

I was worried about the temperature issue, thanks for the insight.

Would krausering cause any harm?

I guess the other idea would be to try and dry hop the bejeezus out of it and see if that will balance the sweetness.

There's a chance that you mashed too hot. That would explain the sweetness. And if you mashed way too hot, it would explain your pour starch conversion and the sweetness.
What was your mash temperature?

Back