Sweet potatoes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I’m not generally a GF brewer, but I thought it would be interesting to try an all sweet potato mash. I diced six lbs of potatoes and boiled with a gallon of water for half an hour, then roughly mashed them into a soup with a potato masher. I let it cool to 152, then added amylase and kept it between 148 and 152 for 90 minutes. After that I poured everything through a mesh bag, squeezed to get most of the wort out, and dunk-sparged the bag in another half gallon of water.

I ended up with around 1.25 gallons of lowish gravity wort. I brought it to the boil, added a small dose of Mosaic hops, and boiled for half an hour until I was at 1.042 and around .75 gallons. Added more Mosaic for a 5 minute hop steep at 180, then cooled and pitched yeast.

No idea what this will taste like, although the sweet wort was pleasant (tasted *much* sweeter than the gravity would indicate). I’ll post some notes after I carbonate the finished beer!

Sounds interesting! The taste is so sweet because fructose is the dominant sugar in sweet potatoes and it tastes sweeter than many other sugars.

I read that sweet potatoes contain naturally enzymes that chop the starch up for you but I do not know how to boil them without sacrificing the enzymes.

The brewer at local nano brewery I visit, brings out samples of different brews he's been experimenting with, and a mildly sour sweet potato brew was pretty good, though I did not guess sweet potato when I tasted it. He didn't share his process, and I didn't ask, so I don't know if it was the ingredient added to grains.

I read that sweet potatoes contain naturally enzymes that chop the starch up for you but I do not know how to boil them without sacrificing the enzymes.

I was contemplating boiling and pureeing most of them and then using some grated (raw) sweet potato for the diastatic power, but I figured I’d just try this test balloon and see how it tastes before going down that road.

Baking would probably provide aditional flavours by caramelization and mailard raction. Crystal sweet potatoes, one could say :D

Yeah, I was definitely thinking about that. And a higher finishing gravity, no doubt.

don't forget that if your using commercial alpha amylase you'll need to add gluco to the fermenter also, otherwise your FG will be way high...

when i could get bales of rice hulls at the garden store i made a rice beer out of a 20lb sack of white rice....learned i need both alpha, and gluco that way....otherwise my FG would be like 1.025

I did add some gluco, but I’m not really sure if it was necessary (ended up quite dry). At any rate, the “beer” came out interesting, but not what I would call delicious. Very tangy, like a sorghum beer, and with a lot of sweet potato flavor (which was not unpleasant, just maybe a bit too dominant). Might be better as a flavor component in a more complex beer, with other adjuncts.

What kind of yeast did you use?

I used WY1469, West Yorkshire (mostly because I had some sitting around). And hopped with Mosaic. It was an interesting experiment — I asked my homebrew club if they could guess the fermentable (after telling them it wasn’t a grain), and no one got it, although a bunch of people suspected sorghum.

It has a seemingly permanent, very heavy starch haze, so I’m assuming my conversion wasn’t great.

Last edited:
according to cron-o-meter 2,700g's of sweet potato has 42g's protein, sure it's starch and not protein haze?

Ok: for the greater glory of science, I did an iodine test of the finished beer and it came out negative for starch.

add more could be vitamin c, that's how you quantify it starch iodine titration....also acording to cron-o-meter 2700g's sweet potato has 64mg's vitamin c....which will **** up your iodine test....but you can determine just how much vitamin c your now, healthy brew has...

Posted this elsewhere...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/sweet-potato-mash-experiment.211386/page-2

Similar to aomagman78...

I made all sweet potato beer (added 8oz of 6 row for enzyme activity just in case). I peeled, grated sweet potato. Held at 140F in 'mash' step, removed sweet potatoes from water, and boiled separately. Put the boiled sweet potatoes in a blender, and returned to mash now at 152F for 90min. I ended up at 1.048 (2.5 gal) with 6 kilos of grated potato. Added Saaz, and S04 which devoured the sugars, leaving me at 1.004. I pulled it off the trub (lots of it) within 10 days, as suggested previously. Now I'm holding at 60F and it's starting to clear up a bit.
Any suggestions on flavorings for secondary? I'm splitting my batch into several 1 gallon secondaries to test some ideas. I want to stay away from pumpkin pie, as I already made one for fall.

I found that it was a bit too bitter. So I rounded it out with orange peel and coriander and dry hopped a bit. Tastes much better but gave me a headache instantly. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's safe to drink but now I'm a bit confused.

Posted this elsewhere...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/sweet-potato-mash-experiment.211386/page-2

Similar to aomagman78...

I made all sweet potato beer (added 8oz of 6 row for enzyme activity just in case). I peeled, grated sweet potato. Held at 140F in 'mash' step, removed sweet potatoes from water, and boiled separately. Put the boiled sweet potatoes in a blender, and returned to mash now at 152F for 90min. I ended up at 1.048 (2.5 gal) with 6 kilos of grated potato. Added Saaz, and S04 which devoured the sugars, leaving me at 1.004. I pulled it off the trub (lots of it) within 10 days, as suggested previously. Now I'm holding at 60F and it's starting to clear up a bit.
Any suggestions on flavorings for secondary? I'm splitting my batch into several 1 gallon secondaries to test some ideas. I want to stay away from pumpkin pie, as I already made one for fall.

Some kind of allergy/intolerance? That's my symptom when I drank barley-based beer after cutting out gluten...

Some kind of allergy/intolerance? That's my symptom when I drank barley-based beer after cutting out gluten...

I think it was the coriander (too much). I have another 2 gallons. To half a gallon I added 2 pears (peeled and pureed). It's fermenting quite a bit even after 3 more days. Once it stops, I will filter the pear mash out and bottle.

Back