Sweet Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jusssste

Reaction score
I brewed a Witbier. I used dry orange peels and fresh peels too. It went through primary and secondary fermentation for about a week. It is has been in the bottles for about 4 days. I opened one just to see how it was. It has a nice beer taste but it taste more like a sweet orange champagne.

Does this mean that I did something wrong or does it just need to age a little longer?

I brewed a Witbier. I used dry orange peels and fresh peels too. It went through primary and secondary fermentation for about a week. It is has been in the bottles for about 4 days. I opened one just to see how it was. It has a nice beer taste but it taste more like a sweet orange champagne.

Does this mean that I did something wrong or does it just need to age a little longer?

you answered your own question...

So what, let it sit for about another week in addition to the already four days? Then it should be good to go? Also, let me add the bottle I did open was well carbonated. I have never seen carbonation like that before. That's why I said it was like champagne. Is that normal?

Chances are you'll need to let it sit for a solid 2 more weeks, possibly more. It very well could be your just tasting green beer - beer that is just young. A lot of those flavors will mellow with age. The carbonation can be present but the beer won't necessarily be ready to drink. Yeah, you could drink it but the flavors are not polished yet. I personally wouldn't try it agian for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better, 4 is better yet. However, if you're like me, patience doesn't come easy!

Well if you took a Final Gravity reading you will know how much residual sugar is in the beer. I hope you mean 1 week each for primary and secondary fermentation. Did you take an FG reading before you bottled? I'm a bit concerned that part of your taste description was champagne. I hope that does not refer to the carbonation level after 4 days in the bottle.

Also the taste will depend a lot on the yeast you used. Traditional Belgian and German Hefe yeasts can often throw a lot of fruity esters that can lend to the perception of sweetness.

It definitely needs a bit more time in the bottle. The taste will continue to mellow some as it sets in the bottle, but Wits are generally best served young within several weeks of brewing.

I just read your post you made while I was writing the last post. If you have that much carbonation after 4 days in the bottle you may have bottled before fermentation was complete. If so your bottles are at risk for exploding. Search bottle bombs. You may want to move them into a cooler where if some let go they are not at risk for causing a huge mess or hurting anybody.

Back