American Stout Sweet Baby Jesus Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bitter with magnum? 1lb of roasted barley? 90 min mash and boil? Whirfloc? Why? Here is my choco peanut butter porter and it is dynamite. I use all natural chocolate flavors (3 to be exact) and 4oz of brewers best pb. Not worth it dealing with powder or all the fat that comes with peanuts
That is so close to my chocolate stout minus the super dark stuff that I'm going to give this a try first. I know my stout is great with PB in the French press.

Last edited:
That is so close to my chocolate stout minute the super dark stuff that I'm going to give this a try first. I know my stout is great with PB in the French press.
Let me know how it goes. I really enjoyed it and will be making again this winter. The carafa iii is really nice. You get chocolate flavors instead of roasty flavors.

Last edited:
Bitter with magnum? 1lb of roasted barley? 90 min mash and boil? Whirfloc? Why? Here is my choco peanut butter porter and it is dynamite. I use all natural chocolate flavors (3 to be exact) and 4oz of brewers best pb. Not worth it dealing with powder or all the fat that comes with peanuts

I think I'm gonna try your recipe, except sub brewers best chocolate flavoring for the nibs so I can skip the secondary. Planning to add the chocolate and pb flavorings to the keg, then rack right on top of it to mix it up, then let it cold condition for a couple weeks on the gas. Any thoughts about going that route?

I think I'm gonna try your recipe, except sub brewers best chocolate flavoring for the nibs so I can skip the secondary. Planning to add the chocolate and pb flavorings to the keg, then rack right on top of it to mix it up, then let it cold condition for a couple weeks on the gas. Any thoughts about going that route?
Theres really nothing wrong with just using a primary. I would toss the nibs in and skip the chocolate extract.

Rat, any changes to your recipe. I am looking for a nice PB/Chocolate porter and I like your abv and simplicity. What is your Mash/Boil/Fermentation schedule? Would you skip the amylase?

Thanks!

Rat, any changes to your recipe. I am looking for a nice PB/Chocolate porter and I like your abv and simplicity. What is your Mash/Boil/Fermentation schedule? Would you skip the amylase?

Thanks!

I made some changes. This was my last batch that turned out very well:

10.5lb maris otter
1.25lb munich ii
10oz chocolate
10oz carafa special ii
8oz flaked barley
8oz crystal 75

Nugget @60mins bitter to 35IBU

I used Dennys Fav yeast this batch
4oz cacao nibs secondary
4oz brewers best pb at kegging

Mash at 152-154F for 60min
2-3 weeks in primary

Greetings, I recently brewed a 6.5% chocolate milk stout and was wondering if people have added cacao nibs to the boil @whirlpool. My recipe calls for 4 oz added during fermentation, but I decided to also add 2.5 oz of ground nibs at flameout with a 10 minute whirlpool. The wort didn't taste acidic or bitter/astringent and is now fermenting. I strained while racking but a few tiny bits of nibs went through. Will the nibs produce any off flavors or affect shelf life? I guess I will find out soon enough, but I was wondering if anyone has tried nibs in the boil and what their results were. Cheers,

Greetings, I recently brewed a 6.5% chocolate milk stout and was wondering if people have added cacao nibs to the boil @whirlpool. My recipe calls for 4 oz added during fermentation, but I decided to also add 2.5 oz of ground nibs at flameout with a 10 minute whirlpool. The wort didn't taste acidic or bitter/astringent and is now fermenting. I strained while racking but a few tiny bits of nibs went through. Will the nibs produce any off flavors or affect shelf life? I guess I will find out soon enough, but I was wondering if anyone has tried nibs in the boil and what their results were. Cheers,
Never tried it in the boil, but I would imagine you wouldn't get the potency of nibs after they were boiled. I could be wrong but to me, I'd think you'd want them in the fermenter. Can I ask what made you add them to the boil? Just to try out?

Never tried it in the boil, but I would imagine you wouldn't get the potency of nibs after they were boiled. I could be wrong but to me, I'd think you'd want them in the fermenter. Can I ask what made you add them to the boil? Just to try out?

Thanks for the message. Actually, I have used nibs in the fermentor with good results but never in the boil, which is why I wanted to try adding nibs at flameout and then late in the fermentation and see if I could get more complex flavors. This was not an original idea...I read several articles that mention nibs in the mash and knockout, and based on what I read you should add late in the boil (5-10min) or at flameout to avoid unwanted bitter/astringent flavors. Here are two articles that mention nibs in the mash/knockout FYI:
1) Adding Flavors to Your Stout
and
2) Brewing With Chocolate: Tips From the Pros - Brew Your Own

Latest posts

Back